Nathaniel St. Clair
Nathaniel (Nate) St. Clair, II is an Intellectual Property litigator and counselor, and he counsels and represents clients in a wide range of Intellectual Property matters, with an emphasis on patent litigation, and patent portfolio licensing and management. His practice also includes performing infringement and invalidity analyses, patentability studies, risk assessments, and providing general IP counseling, particularly in the electrical and mechanical arts.
His experience ranges from advocating for his clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in patent litigation matters to generally counseling clients regarding patent and trademark procurement before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in providing strategic counsel to clients in the sports, entertainment, media, and publishing industries. His diverse IP practice services clients ranging from Fortune 100 Companies to solo-inventors and first-time patentees. Nate also sits on the Boards of Trustees of various nonprofit organizations.
Nate has counseled clients in numerous technology areas, including automotive and consumer electronics, avionics, computing devices, data networks, digital imaging, electromagnetics, financial services products, medical devices, oil and gas drilling, optics, power distribution, semiconductor devices, signal processing, software, telecommunications, and wireless devices.
In his sports and entertainment practice, Nate has worked with and represented clients, such as professional sports entities, fashion designers, record labels, recording artists, television and movie production studios, publishing houses, and authors. Nate has been published on various legal topics, including his 2016 publication in Inside the Minds: Navigating Fashion Law, published by Thomson Reuters. Nate’s writing titled “Wearable Technology Brings New Concerns to the Fashion Law Arena,” covers the potential legal concerns of 3D printing and wearable technologies including data security, privacy rights, patent infringement liability, and counterfeiting.
Prior to practicing law, Nate worked as a patent engineer/agent for GE Healthcare for several years and as a law clerk for the General Counsel and Vice President of the Milwaukee Bucks NBA Franchise.
B.S.E.E., University of Michigan
J.D., Marquette University Law School
United States Patent and Trademark Office
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
Nate has developed experience in the following areas:
- Intellectual property litigation
- Patent prosecution and counseling
- Patent portfolio management and valuation
- Commercial Litigation
- Preparing and negotiating intellectual property agreements
- Developing and negotiating monetization programs
- Preparing and negotiating various entertainment and media production agreements
Nate’s patent litigation experience has involved a wide array of technology areas, including automotive control systems, consumer electronics and mechanical devices, avionics and aviation, computing/signals/semiconductors, data networks, digital imaging and optics, electromagnetics, e-commerce, banking and financial services, medical devices, oil and gas drilling, power distribution, software, and telecom/wireless communication.
Nate has represented Fortune 100 corporations, science laboratories, universities and research institutions, family-owned companies, venture capitalists, investors, individual inventors, first-time patentees, musicians, composers, sports leagues, musicians, entertainers, and writers/composers.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2023-2024
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2018-2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2023-2024
- “Best Lawyers Under 40” List, D Magazine, 2018
- “40 Under 40,” Dallas Business Journal, 2016
- Admitted to the Texas Bar College Legal Honor Society, 2015
- “Technology Use and the Ethics that Come with It,” UT Law’s 30th Annual LLCs, LPs and Partnerships (July 2021)
- “Ethics of Technology in Law Practice: What Lawyers Need to Know,” UT Law’s 29th Annual LLCs, LPs and Partnerships (July 2020)
- “Technology and Intellectual Property in Fashion,” Law x Style Summit, Dallas Bar Association’s Entertainment, Art & Sports Law Section (November 2019)
- Moderator, “College Athletics Panel Discussion,” 30 Years of Sports Law Conference, National Sports Law Institute’s 30th Annual Conference hosted by Marquette University Law School (October 2019)
- Panelist, “Ethical Issues Presented by Changing Technology,” UT Law’s 28th Annual LLCs, LPs and Partnerships CLE (July 2019)
- Keynote Speaker, “Integrity in the Law,” Intellectual Property Law Review (“IPLR”) 20th Anniversary Banquet hosted by Marquette University Law School (March 2018)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- National Bar Association – Commercial Law & Intellectual Property
- Black Entertainment and Sports Lawyers Association
- National Sports Law Institute, Board of Advisors, 2020-Present
- Texas Bar College, Legal Honor Society
- Graphic Arts Show, Graph Expo
- Barbara M. G. Lynn IP Inn of Court – Dallas
- Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP), Steering Committee, 2019-2022
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow, Class of 2017
- The Family Place, Board Member
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters Lone Star, Past Board Member
- Impact Church DFW, Board Member and Vice Chairman
- St. Philip’s School and Community Center, Past Board Trustee
- Wesley Matthews’ “Driven-2-Greatn3ss” Charitable Foundation, Past Board Member
September 14, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 35 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 35 attorneys to Lawdragon’s 2024 list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 21 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
Representative Honors & Involvement
- D Magazine’s Best Lawyers Under 40 in Dallas Recipient, January 2018 ed.
- Leadership Dallas, Dallas Regional Chamber, 2017-2018
- Texas Bar College – Legal Honor Society, Admission in 2015
- Dallas Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” Award Recipient, 2016
- Dallas Mavericks’ Wes Matthews’ “Driven-2-Greatn3ss” Charitable Foundation – Board Member, 2016-present
- Impact Church DFW – Board Member and Vice Chairman, 2014-present
- St. Philip’s School and Community Center – Board Member, 2010-2016
- Big Brothers & Big Sisters Lone Star – Jr. Board Member & Former Chairman