Patrick Knapp is an Energy attorney in Jackson Walker’s Dallas office with experience handling corporate transactions and litigation as in-house and outside counsel to domestic and international upstream, midstream, and downstream energy companies.
A self-described “utility player” for the petroleum industry, Pat brings a general counsel’s perspective to client matters. He handles mergers and acquisitions, financings, complex commercial transactions, and litigation strategies for midstream, downstream, oilfield services, and commodity financial services companies. He has represented producers, marketers, logistics providers, and refiners in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. His experience extends to virtually all forms of petroleum commodity marketing and logistics, including pipelines, terminals, gathering and processing facilities, rail, maritime, truck transportation, blending, and refining.
Previously, Pat served as the managing counsel of Bridger Logistics, the former midstream division of Ferrellgas Partners, L.P. In his role, he led and managed high-profile litigation and M&A transactions, including more than 30 asset and equity carve-out divestitures. He also provided business and legal oversight for the company’s South Texas saltwater disposal business unit.
B.B.A., University of Notre Dame
J.D., SMU Dedman School of Law
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted divestiture and wind-down of company’s midstream division in more than 30 separate carve-out M&A transactions over seven months.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted successful carve-out sale of company’s crude oil marketing business.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted the successful sale of tank railcar fleet.
- Managed, negotiated, and drafted the acquisition and sale of multiple terminal and pipeline assets.
- Negotiated and drafted midstream contracts for pipelines, gathering systems, terminals, rail, and trucking assets and facilities.
- Negotiated and drafted Farmout Agreements, Area of Mutual Interest Agreements, JOAs, and Participation Agreements for upstream and saltwater disposal clients.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous working capital facilities for commodity purchases and sales.
- Negotiated and drafted secured asset-based and reserve-based lending financing arrangements for midstream and upstream clients.
- Negotiated and drafted long-term prepayment financing arrangements for tank and pipeline inventories.
- Represented independent terminal operator in the sale and leaseback of crude oil and refined products terminal.
- Represented independent crude oil trucking carrier in the working capital financing of crude oil purchases at the lease and sales to the refinery.
- Represented multiple clients in negotiation and funding of Main Street Program Loans secured by complex, capital-intense petroleum terminals and logistics assets.
- Moderator, “Water Infrastructure Projects,” State Bar of Texas Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course (October 2022)
- Moderator, “CEO Fireside Chat,” Oilfield Water Markets 4th Annual Industry Update Conference (October 2022)
- Speaker, “Overriding Concerns: Title Issues in Produced Water,” HAPL 53rd Annual Technical Workshop (April 2022)
- Panelist, “The Private E&P Operator Perspective on Water Management Optimization,” Oilfield Water Markets 2021 Conference (May 2021)
- Moderator, “Getting the Deal Done: A Discussion of Key Negotiation Points in Oil and Gas M&A,” 71st Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference (February 2020)
- Speaker, “Service Agreements in the Downturn,” Dallas Bar Association – Energy Law Section (April 2016)
- Speaker, “Crude By Rail from a Driller’s Perspective,” Review of Oil & Gas Law XXX, Dallas Bar Association (August 2015)
- Dallas Bar Association – Energy Law Section
- State Bar of Texas – Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Notre Dame Club of Dallas
- Sister Loyola Foundation, Trustee and Board Chairperson
July 27, 2022Webinars
Wednesday, July 27, 2022 | 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. CT
Join Patrick Knapp, Reagan Marble, Ben Rhem, and Taylor Holcomb for this upcoming webinar as they provide an overview of how the midstream water business is among the fastest-growing segments of the oil and gas industry.
October 20, 2021Webinars
In this webinar, Jackson Walker attorneys provide an overview of how companies of all sizes can develop and follow Environmental, Social, & Governance practices to create great value for their organizations.
June 23, 2021Webinars
Wednesday, June 23, 2021 | 12 p.m. CDT
Join Jackson Walker and Echo Production for a webinar discussing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues and the impending impact on the energy industry.
April 26, 2021Speaking Engagements
During the Oilfield Water Markets 2021 Conference, Jackson Walker partner Pat Knapp will join a panel discussing the perspective of a private exploration and production (E&P) operator on optimized water management solutions.
February 22, 2021Attorney News
Joining the Energy practice, Pat Knapp brings a wealth of experience handling corporate transactions and energy litigation as in-house and outside counsel to domestic and international upstream, midstream, and downstream energy companies.