Peter C. Hansen
Peter C. Hansen focuses on complex trial work and appellate litigation matters in state and federal court, with an emphasis on presentation of legal issues and preservation of error. Peter served as a briefing attorney to Justice Eva Guzman of the Supreme Court of Texas. He also worked on appellate matters for two years as a law clerk with the Office of the Solicitor General of Texas. Peter was a legislative fellow at the Texas Attorney General’s Office during the 2011 legislative session.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
Texas Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Equity Trust Co. v. Hampton, 2020 Tex. App. LEXIS 5674 (Tex. App.—Austin July 23, 2020, pet. denied) (obtained complete reversal and render of adverse jury verdict).
- Ortiz et al. v. American Airlines Inc. et al. (5th Cir. 2021)—Successfully represented national airline’s credit union against a 20,000-member ERISA class certification.
- Heriberto Chavez et al. v. Plan Benefit Services Inc. et al. (5th Cir. 2020)—Successfully defended against 90,000-member ERISA class certification. Court vacated certification order, citing a lack of “rigorous analysis” required by Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- CPS Energy v. Smith, 562 S.W.3d 75 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2018)—Obtained court of appeals’ opinion reversing trial court and rendering judgment for CPS Energy on governmental immunity grounds; obtained denial of plaintiff’s subsequent petition for review in Texas Supreme Court.
- In re C.Z.H., 2017 WL 4900499 (Tex. App.—Austin 2018)—Obtained reversal and remand for new conservatorship hearing in pro bono family law matter.
- Community Health Systems v. Hansen, 525 S.W.3d 671 (Tex. 2017)—Assisted in obtaining re-instatement of take-nothing judgment against multimillion dollar claim based on justification defense to tortious interference.
- In re Deepwater Horizon, 784 F.3d 1019 (5th Cir. 2015)—Assisted in obtaining affirmance of dismissal of Mexican States’ claims for pollution-related damages from the Macondo Oil spill as barred by the Robins Dry Dock rule.
- Venture Cotton Cooperative v. Freeman, 435 S.W.3d 222 (Tex. 2014)—Assisted in successfully upholding arbitration agreement against challenge of unconscionability.
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Appellate Law, Austin Monthly, 2021
- Co-Author, Pre-Suit Depositions Under Rule 202: A Survey Of Hot Button Issues, 36th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference (October 2012)
- Speaker, “Pushing the Bounds of Litigation Norms,” Bench Bar Conference (2018)
- University of Texas School of Law Mentorship Program mentor
- Austin Bar Association Appellate Section Council Member
- Texas Access to Justice Commission: Champion of Justice Society
- Texas Veg Foundation: Board of Directors
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel Amicus Committee