Peter C. Hansen
Peter C. Hansen focuses on complex trial work and appellate litigation matters in state and federal court, with an emphasis on presentation of legal issues and preservation of error. Peter served as a briefing attorney to Justice Eva Guzman of the Supreme Court of Texas. He also worked on appellate matters for two years as a law clerk with the Office of the Solicitor General of Texas. Peter was a legislative fellow at the Texas Attorney General’s Office during the 2011 legislative session. Peter has a decade of experience as an attorney in private practice.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
Texas Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Acadian Properties Austin, LLC v. KJMonte Investments, No. 20-00048 (Tex. App.—El Paso July 31, 2021)-Obtained affirmance of $600,000 default judgment
- Equity Trust Co. v. Hampton, 2020 Tex. App. LEXIS 5674 (Tex. App.—Austin July 23, 2020, pet. denied) (obtained complete reversal and render of adverse jury verdict).
- Ortiz et al. v. American Airlines Inc. et al. (5th Cir. 2021)—Successfully represented national airline’s credit union against a 20,000-member ERISA class certification.
- Heriberto Chavez et al. v. Plan Benefit Services Inc. et al. (5th Cir. 2020)—Successfully defended against 90,000-member ERISA class certification. Court vacated certification order, citing a lack of “rigorous analysis” required by Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
- In re Estate of Kenneth Andrews, 04-20-00058-CV – obtained affirmance of jury verdict upholding last will and testament and defeating claims of undue influence
- CPS Energy v. Smith, 562 S.W.3d 75 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2018)—Obtained court of appeals’ opinion reversing trial court and rendering judgment for CPS Energy on governmental immunity grounds; obtained denial of plaintiff’s subsequent petition for review in Texas Supreme Court.
- In re C.Z.H., 2017 WL 4900499 (Tex. App.—Austin 2018)—Obtained reversal and remand for new conservatorship hearing in pro bono family law matter.
- Community Health Systems v. Hansen, 525 S.W.3d 671 (Tex. 2017)—Assisted in obtaining re-instatement of take-nothing judgment against multimillion dollar claim based on justification defense to tortious interference.
- In re Deepwater Horizon, 784 F.3d 1019 (5th Cir. 2015)—Assisted in obtaining affirmance of dismissal of Mexican States’ claims for pollution-related damages from the Macondo Oil spill as barred by the Robins Dry Dock rule.
- Venture Cotton Cooperative v. Freeman, 435 S.W.3d 222 (Tex. 2014)—Assisted in successfully upholding arbitration agreement against challenge of unconscionability.
- “Austin’s Top Attorneys” List – Appellate Law, Austin Monthly, 2021, 2022
- Event Co-Organizer, “Wisdom from the Bench: Practical Tips for Appellate Practitioners” (May 2022)
- Speaker, “Pushing the Bounds of Litigation Norms,” Bench Bar Conference (2018)
- Co-Author, Pre-Suit Depositions Under Rule 202: A Survey Of Hot Button Issues, 36th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference (October 2012)
- University of Texas School of Law Mentorship Program mentor
- Austin Bar Association Appellate Section: Council Member
- Texas Access to Justice Commission: Champion of Justice Society
- Texas Veg Foundation: Board of Directors
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel Amicus Committee
- Volunteer Legal Services Eviction Task Force volunteer attorney
November 8, 2022Client Results
Jennifer Caughey and Peter Hansen, along with Chris Thompson and Dan Vineyard, obtained a unanimous appellate victory in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. That victory preserves an $18 million default judgment.
October 25, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 14 attorneys recognized among Austin Monthly’s list of “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2022. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 38 categories.
February 18, 2022Client Results
Jackson Walker Appellate Team Secures Precedent-Setting Victory in Texas Supreme Court for Major Texas Mine
On February 11, 2022, the Texas Supreme Court established critical precedent on administrative law principles and the faithful application of the law. Texas mine owner and operator Dos Repúblicas, represented by Appellate Practice Chair Jennifer Caughey and her team, prevailed.
September 3, 2021Newsletters
View the September 2021 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 4, 2021Client Results
On July 19, 2021, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed, reversed, and vacated parts of the district court’s decision in a suit brought by two former American Airlines employees who sought to certify a 20,000-member class action.
August 3, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 20 attorneys recognized among “Austin’s Top Attorneys” for 2021. For recognition in the list, Austin attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer experienced counsel in one of 43 categories.
November 14, 2018Spotlight
For the seventh year in a row, the Texas Access to Justice Commission has honored Jackson Walker as a Champion of Justice Law Firm.
October 11, 2017Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Community Health Systems Professional Services Corporation (PSC), a company that provides consulting services on physician employment, in a case brought by a physician charging that PSC illegally interfered with his employment contract.