Reagan M. Marble
Born and raised on his family’s working cattle ranches in South Texas and Eastern New Mexico, Reagan is no stranger to hard work, long hours, and (eventually) enjoying the fruits of labor.
It is no coincidence that Reagan’s award-winning practice focuses on representation of large land and mineral owners, high net worth families, and investors in complex conventional and renewable energy litigation and transactions throughout Texas and New Mexico.
In his energy litigation practice, Reagan’s experience ranges from multimillion-dollar title disputes in the Eagle Ford Shale and Permian Basin to renewable energy contract disputes along the Gulf Coast.
In his energy transactions practice, Reagan drafts and negotiates agreements affecting all aspects of upstream oil and gas exploration and production including oil and gas leases, surface use agreements, purchase and sale agreements, farmouts, and joint operating agreements.
Reagan is particularly well known for helping Texas and New Mexico landowners and companies develop, produce, sell, or dispose of their non-traditional natural resources including water (saltwater disposal agreements, freshwater sales contracts, and water joint operating agreements); sand (sand and gravel leases, sand supply contracts, and sand mine purchase and sale agreements); sun (solar leases); and wind (wind leases).
Reagan is an avid hunter and fisherman. And as a result of his passion for the outdoors, he frequently assists landowners with the negotiation of hunting leases and hunting advocacy groups with their legal needs.
A national award-winning advocate, Reagan takes pride in being a professional and ethical advocate in the courtroom and the boardroom.
B.A., Baylor University
J.D., cum laude, Texas Tech University School of Law
Oil and Gas Litigation
Reagan’s oil and gas litigation experience is extensive including successfully obtaining summary dismissal of and defending on appeal an operator’s adverse title claims in which the plaintiff claimed over $100 million in damages and successfully prosecuting claims against an operator that it had improperly deducted costs from a landowner’s royalty.
Renewable Energy Litigation
Reagan has handled several renewable energy disputes ranging from settling a dispute for a confidential amount of money on behalf of a renewable energy developer in which a prospective partner circumvented the developer and cut it out of the deal to successfully resolving a dispute between an oil and gas company and a solar farm.
Upstream Oil and Gas Transactions
Reagan has negotiated multimillion dollar acquisitions and divestitures of minerals, leases, and other upstream oil and gas rights and behalf of landowners and oil and gas companies.
Water, Sand, Wind, and Solar Transactions
Reagan has negotiated and drafted tens of thousands of acres of water leases and disposal agreements on behalf of both landowners and developers, drafted custom operating agreements between working interest partners on water wells, negotiated and drafted several multi-million dollar purchase and sale agreements for acquisitions of sand producing properties and sand leases, and negotiated and drafted dozens of wind and solar leases.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2022-2024
- Commercial Litigation, 2024
- Oil and Gas Law, 2022-2024
- Texas Rising Star – Energy & Natural Resources, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018-2023
- Named to “Up-and-Coming 100: Texas Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022-2023
- “Top Attorney” List, Energy – Oil & Gas, San Antonio Magazine, 2019
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2023
- Energy & Oil & Gas
- General Litigation
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, Energy & Oil & Gas, San Antonio Scene, 2020-2022
- Who’s Who in Energy, San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
- National Order of Barristers
- National Champion, ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Best Advocate (Preliminary Rounds), ABA National Appellate Advocacy Competition
- Reagan Marble & Peter Hosey, “The Sand Paper: The Life Cycle of Frac Sand” presented at the Advanced Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law Course (2022)
- Reagan Marble & Peter Hosey, “Earth, Wind & Solar” (2021)
- Reagan M. Marble, “Crude awakening: Oil patch lawsuits shift into high gear,” Houston Chronicle (2020)
- Reagan Marble & Peter Hosey, “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand” (2020)
- Reagan Marble & Brandon Durrett, Vaquillas Unproven Minerals: Maybe You Didn’t Retain That Acreage, 120 PBLA Takeoff 110 (2016)
- James M. “Marty” Truss & Reagan M. Marble, Texas Oil and Gas Case Law Update, 2 Tex. A&M L. Rev. 353 (2015)
- Reagan M. Marble, The Last Frontier Regulating Factory Farms, 43 Tex. Envtl. L.J. 175 (2013)
- “To Equity or Not? The Role of Equitable Defenses in Deed Construction Cases,” UT Law’s Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (April 2023)
- “Interpreting Deeds and Oil & Gas Leases: A Review of Canons of Construction,” HAPL Technical Educational Workshop (April 2023)
- “Produced Water: The Next ‘Title’ Wave of Litigation,” Jackson Walker’s Hot Topics in Oilfield Produced Water” Webinar (July 2022)
- “Produced Water: The Next ‘Title’ Wave of Oil and Gas Litigation,” UT Law’s Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (April 2022)
- “Earth, Wind & Solar,” State Bar of Texas Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section’s Oil & Gas Dispute Seminar (January 2021)
- “A Legal and Ethical Checklist For Mineral Buyers, Lease Brokers, and Their Lawyers,” HAPL Technical Educational Workshop (April 2021)
- “What the Uptick in Litigation Means for Oil & Gas Producers and Land Owners,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (May 2020)
- “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand,” UT Law’s Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute (March 2020)
- “Oil and Gas Case Law Update,” Natural Resources Section CLE, San Antonio Bar Association (February 2020)
- “The Sand Paper: The Anatomy of Acquiring, Divesting, and Leasing Sand” Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section of the Austin Bar Association Luncheon (October 2019)
- “Recent Trends in Oil & Gas Litigation” (February 2019)
- “Case Law Update,” Permian Basin Landmen’s Association Education Seminar, Midland, Texas (April 2018)
- “Case Law Update,” San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen 29th Annual Mid-Winter Seminar, San Antonio, Texas (January 2018)
- “Oil and Gas Operations and Land Contamination,” 35th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resource Law Course, Houston, Texas (September 2017)
- “Case Law Update,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen, Houston, Texas (March 2017)
- “Case Law Update,” Austin Professional Landmen’s Association, Austin, Texas (March 2017)
In the News
- “Former House Speaker Relentless in Ending Oil & Gas Bad Faith Washouts,” Texas Lawyer (March 2023)
- “Full-Time At The Office More Popular With Lawyers In Texas,” Law360 (January 2022)
- “Oil companies prepare to defend drilling rights — or rights not to — in court,” San Antonio Business Journal (May 2020)
- “How Will the Shale Litigation Boom Affect Your Operations?,” Hart Energy (April 2020)
- “Eagle Ford 2021: What happens to South Texas when oil well flow flattens?” San Antonio Business Journal (February 2019)
- Young Professionals in Energy – San Antonio, Board Member
- Landman and Lawyers Clays Shoot, Board Member
- State Bar of Texas
- Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section
- Litigation Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Natural Resources Section
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- San Antonio Association of Professional Landmen
September 18, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 44 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2023 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list. In its 19th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 11, 2023Speaking Engagements
Reagan Marble and Joe Regan to Present on Deed Construction Cases and Infrastructure Projects at Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute
At the 49th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, Reagan Marble and Joe Regan will present on issues such as the takings of oil and gas infrastructure by government entities, maximizing compensation, and on equitable defenses in deed construction cases.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates Chris Bankler, Amanda Crouch, Joshua Flores, Noah Galton, Joel Glover, Reagan Marble, and Zach Zurek on their selection to the “Up-and-Coming 100: 2023 Texas Rising Stars” list. In addition, Amanda and Veronica Polnick were named to the “Up-and-Coming 50: 2023 Women Texas Rising Stars” list.
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
July 27, 2022Webinars
Wednesday, July 27, 2022 | 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. CT
Join Patrick Knapp, Reagan Marble, Ben Rhem, and Taylor Holcomb for this upcoming webinar as they provide an overview of how the midstream water business is among the fastest-growing segments of the oil and gas industry.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.