Sang M. Shin
An experienced business immigration attorney, Sang Shin provides creative legal counsel to companies, individuals, investors, and institutions throughout the U.S. and internationally. He has broad experience managing employment-based immigration cases for nonimmigrant and immigrant visas, and immigration planning and compliance programs for entities engaged in a wide range of industries, including: energy, engineering, healthcare institutions, construction, financial services and banking, agriculture, architecture, technology, entertainment, food service, hospitality, retail, education, export and import, and other sectors.
Sang handles a wide range of nonimmigrant visas and petitions, and also provides advanced and strategic advice to clients on a variety of immigrant visas and labor certifications (PERM) for numerous occupations. He handles family-based cases and U.S. citizenship matters, and regularly represents companies in connection with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), U.S. Department of State (DOS), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) audits.
He frequently works with international companies entering the U.S. market for the first time, helping them navigate the ever-changing U.S. legal landscape. Utilizing his broad network, Sang ensures a seamless market entry for his clients by making sure they are connected within their respective industries and are well-equipped to thrive long-term in the U.S.
Sang also advises start-ups, entrepreneurs, and high net-worth individuals regarding investment-based U.S. immigration opportunities. Sang partners with both individuals and large entities to ensure they remain compliant with government regulations and can withstand the highest level of scrutiny if faced with a government audit.
Named among The Best Lawyers in America (2021-2023) for immigration law, Sang prides himself in being a true counselor and business partner to his clients, providing hands-on consulting services that will ensure successful results.
B.A., University of North Carolina
J.D., Charlotte School of Law
Diversity and Inclusion Certification, Cornell University
Immigration Attorney Serving Austin, Dallas, Houston, & San Antonio Texas
Sang’s extensive background working with clients on their immigration matters allows him to assist clients in all aspects of:
- Labor & Employment-based Visas
- Investment-related Visas
- Permanent Residence Processes
- Immigration Compliance
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Immigration Law, 2021-2023
- “Top Lawyer: Immigration” in Best of Houstonia, Houstonia Magazine, 2021
- Best Under 40 Award, Asian Pacific Interest Section (APIS) of the State Bar of Texas, 2020
- Co-author, “Worker Intake and Classification Issues and the Related Legal Challenges for Employers,” 64 Tax Mgmt. Memo No. 4, 53 (Feb. 13, 2023).
- Co-author, “Worker Intake and Classification Issues and the Related Legal Challenges for Employers,” 51 Tax Mgmt. Comp. Plan J. No. 2 (Feb. 3, 2023).
- “Channeling Struggles to Create Opportunity,” The Texas Lawbook (May 2022)
- “Foreign Worker Policies Likely to Improve for Business,” Texas Lawyer (March 2021)
- “COVID-19 and Foreign National Workers in the United States,” The Houston Lawyer magazine (July 2020)
- “Impacts of COVID-19 on U.S. Immigration and Travel Policies,” Jackson Walker Business Immigration & Compliance Resources (July 2020)
- Speaker, “Legal: How to Impact Law Firm Diversity”, FutureCast 2022 (October 2022)
- Panelist, “U.S. Business Immigration Virtual Roundtable,” Jackson Walker Webinar (September 2022)
- Speaker, “Surviving an Unpredictable Economy: Legal Considerations You Can’t Afford to Ignore,” 2022 Asian Chamber Business Conference & Expo (August 2022)
- Speaker, “Market Update and Doing Business in Houston” Session of Aberdeen-Houston Gateway 2022 (March 2022)
- Speaker, “Preparation for Upcoming H-1B CAP Season,” State Bar of Texas Immigration & Nationality Law Section (January 2022)
- Panelist, “Recruiting & Retaining Diverse Talent,” Houston Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators (November 2021)
- Moderator, “Behind the Hiring Curtain,” Houston Young Lawyers Association (HYLA) First Generation Attorneys Committee panel (February 2020)
In the News
- “Banks, fintechs weigh fallout from H1-B work visa restrictions,” Banking Dive (July 15, 2020)
- “How Trump’s latest H-1B visa suspension will impact hiring at tech companies,” TechRepublic (June 30, 2020)
- “Trump’s H-1B work visa ban creates six-month headache,” TechTarget (June 24, 2020)
- “Suspending immigration could hurt international companies,” KPRC 2 Click2Houston (April 21, 2020)
Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast
- “Celebrating AAPI Heritage Month,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (May 2022)
- “What Happens to President Trump’s Immigration Proclamations During President Biden’s First 100 Days?” (January 2021)
- “Immigration Policies Under a Biden Administration” (November 2020)
- “Employment Visa Restrictions: Past, Present, and Future” (July 2020)
- “H-1B Visa Considerations During Periods of High Unemployment” (June 2020)
- “Immigration Issues to Consider During the Coronavirus Epidemic” (April 2020)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Asian American Bar Association of Houston
- Chair of Board of Directors, 2019-2022
- President, 2018
- Vice President of Community Relations, 2016
- Social Committee, 2015
- Law School & Mentorship Committee, 2014
- Asian American Bar Foundation of Houston
- Trustee, 2019-present
- State Bar of Texas, Asian Pacific Interest Section
- Secretary, 2021-2022
- State Bar of Texas, Immigration Section
- Council Member, 2021-2023
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellows Program, 2022
- United Way
- Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Houston Partnership, Business Resource Group–Business Beyond Borders
February 9, 2023Podcasts
Immigration Issues When Contemplating Layoffs or Reductions in Force
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~7.5 minutes
The potential for layoffs or reductions in force could trigger immigration-related issues. Business Immigration & Compliance partners Kelly Cobb and Sang Shin join the Fast Takes podcast to cover key considerations as not all visas are created equal.
February 1, 2023Insights
USCIS 2024 H-1B Cap Initial Registration Period Approaches
On January 27, 2023, USCIS announced the initial registration period for 2024 H-1B visa cap. Prospective petitioners and representatives will be able to complete and submit their registrations online on the H-1B visa registration system from 12 p.m. Eastern time on March 1, 2023, through 12 p.m. Eastern time March 17, 2023.
January 31, 2023Insights
The Ever-Changing Landscape of Immigration Policies: Updates on Recent USCIS Announcements
USCIS has recently announced important immigration policies involving COVID-19, H-4 and L-2 applications, EB-1 and EB-2 Form 1-140 petitions, F-1 students, and permanent resident cards (“green cards”).
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 7, 2022Attorney News
‘Houstonia’ Lists Jackson Walker Attorneys as “Top Lawyers” in Best of Houstonia
Jackson Walker is proud to announce the selection of Chevazz Brown, Matthew Cavenaugh, Carey Hain, Lindsey Moorhead, and Sang Shin to Houstonia Magazine’s “Top Lawyers” list of 2021-2022 in its Best of Houstonia.
October 20, 2022Speaking Engagements
Sang Shin to Discuss How to Impact Law Firm Diversity at FutureCast 2022 Conference
Sang Shin is scheduled to present at the award-winning diversity & inclusion event, FutureCast 2022, on Friday, October 21, 2022. Victoria Taylor (Womble Bond Dickinson LLP) will join Sang in the discussion moderated by Julian S. Newman (FutureCast & Culture Creative).
August 22, 2022Speaking Engagements
Sang Shin, Shari Mao, and Jeremy Sheng to Present at 2022 Asian Chamber Business Conference & Expo
Jackson Walkers partners Sang Shin, Shari Mao, and Jeremy Sheng will present “Surviving an Unpredictable Economy: Legal Considerations You Can’t Afford to Ignore” at the 2022 Asian Chamber Business Conference & Expo on Friday, August 26, 2022.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
Labor & Employment Dispatch: August 2022
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – August 2022
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.