Serene W. Ateek
Serene is an associate in Jackson Walker’s Corporate & Securities group and Entertainment, Digital & Sports group. Her corporate practice focuses on assisting clients in an array of corporate transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, private equity transactions, joint venture transactions, and outside counsel representation.
Serene also has an active entertainment practice consisting of:
- Representing TV networks in negotiations with talent for various reality TV shows and scripted TV shows and movies
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating endorsement deals for athletes and brands
- Advising subscription based companies on automatic renewal laws
- Advising social media influencers/celebrities on Federal Trade Commission’s Endorsement Guides for social media postings
Serene is able to break down complex legal matters and advise her clients on how that matter will directly impact their business. She focuses on providing efficient and practical advice that gets the deal done while also protecting the client.
In addition to her practice, Serene serves on the Board of Genesis Young Leaders to help stop domestic violence in Dallas.
B.A., magna cum laude, University of Texas at Austin
- Dean’s List
- Distinguished College Scholar: Ranked in the Top 4% of the College of Liberal Arts
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- Represented the provider of North America’s premier automotive service and parts analytics and pricing optimization system in connection with a minority recapitalization through an equity investment by a private equity firm focused on growth companies.
- Represented a leading provider of B2B digital transformation services in the sale of its business to a Dallas-based private equity firm for an undisclosed amount.
- Moderator, “Put Me In Coach! A Discussion of Eligibility for High School, College, and Olympic Athletes,” Dallas Bar Association Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law Section (August 2022)
- Speaker, Educate and Empower Entrepreneurs (E3) Workshop, Presented “Attorneys and Why You Shouldn’t Be Scared of Them” and “Know Before You Sign: How to Read A Contract” (January 2022)
- Co-Author, “Avoiding Fashion Faux Pas: Factors to Consider When Drafting Agreements for Fashion Companies” (January 2022)
- Co-Author, “Cancel Culture and the Endless Stream of Subscriptions: A Discussion of Automatic Renewal Laws” (October 2021)
- Speaker, “Fashion Faux Pas: Legal Pitfalls for Fashion Companies to Avoid,” Presented by the Entertainment & Sports Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (ESLABA) and the Texas Chapter of the Copyright Society of the USA (July 2021)
- Board Member, Dallas Bar Association – Entertainment, Art, & Sports Section
- Texas Law Dallas Young Alumni Steering Committee, Committee Member
- Genesis Young Leaders, Board Member
October 4, 2022Newsletters
View the October 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
August 30, 2022Attorney News
Serene Ateek, Bob Latham, and James McFall Cover Sports Law Issues Involving High School, College, and Olympic Athletes
The Dallas Bar Association’s Entertainment, Art, and Sports Law Section on August 24, 2022, hosted a CLE panel discussion featuring Jackson Walker attorneys Serene W. Ateek, Robert P. Latham, and James Carlos McFall along with Andrew Rhoden of Masterly Legal Solutions.
February 7, 2022Newsletters
View the February 2022 edition of the JW Media | VIA ePostcard.
January 13, 2022Insights
By Serene Ateek & Shannon Zmud Teicher
In order to properly run a successful business and create a solid brand, fashion companies need to enter into many agreements that span the areas of corporate, real estate, and intellectual property. This article discusses factors to consider when drafting favorable provisions within three commonly used agreements.
January 27, 2021Webinars
Thursday, January 27, 2022 | 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. CT
Join Jackson Walker and EisnerAmper for the 2022 E3 Workshop as entrepreneurs, small business owners, and startups learn how to start their businesses off right in the new year. Presented by Serene Ateek and Angie Walters, topics will include “Attorneys and Why You Shouldn’t Be Scared of Them,” “Know Before You Sign: How to Read A Contract,” and “Accounting 101.”
October 21, 2021Insights
By Shannon Zmud Teicher & Serene W. Ateek
Regardless of whether your interest is home goods or hunting, it is undeniable that companies are quickly embracing the rise of digital when offering entertainment and personal services to consumers. Automatic renewal programs seem to dominate a lot of our world today, think: music, games, television, movies, magazines, meal deliveries, gym memberships, eyelash extensions, and much more. With all of these automatic renewal programs in place, it is easy to see how consumers would forget to cancel certain subscriptions they no longer wanted.
July 20, 2021Speaking Engagements
Thursday, July 29 at 12:30 p.m. CT
Join Serene Ateek and Kirby Drake for a virtual CLE presentation on fashion and copyright law. The webinar is presented jointly by the Entertainment & Sports Law Section of the Austin Bar Association (ESLABA) and the Texas Chapter of the Copyright Society of the USA.
January 15, 2021Client Results
San Antonio partner Stephanie L. Chandler, who led the Jackson Walker team handling the transaction, said, “We were honored to advise KEEPS on this transaction, which will help them continue their expansion, accelerate their innovation, and invest in sales and marketing.”
July 10, 2020Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Keste, a leading provider of B2B digital transformation services, in the sale of its business to Trinity Hunt Partners—marking its third platform investment in IT services.
June 30, 2020Newsletters
Explore the accomplishments of our diverse attorneys and their involvement within our communities during the first half of 2020.