William A.I. McDonald
Trey McDonald is a litigator with experience in Texas, New York, and California federal courts and Texas state courts. He practices media litigation, trademark and copyright litigation, and complex commercial litigation with a focus on First Amendment, defamation, false advertising, and Lanham Act claims.
He has represented media personalities and companies including Oprah Winfrey, Harpo Productions Inc., Dr. Mehmet Oz, Zoco Productions, LLC, Sony Pictures Television, Inc., and Tuft & Needle.
B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, Morehouse College
- Stanford University Exchange Fellow, Political Science
- Dean’s Academic Award for Superior Academic Achievement
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- President, Thurgood Marshall Legal Society
- Semifinalist, Susman Godfrey Moot Court Competition
- Legislative staffer, Honorable Texas State Senator Royce West during the 82nd Texas Legislative regular and special sessions
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Representative matters include:
- Defended Tuft & Needle against Mattress Firm in a trademark dilution lawsuit filed in Texas federal court.
- Represented a media personality and skin care company involving claims for false endorsement, trademark dilution, and false advertising.
- Defended a media personality and media production company in a unfair competition and false advertising lawsuit filed in New York federal court.
- Defending a media personality and three media companies in a class action consumer protection lawsuit filed in California federal court.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Media Law, 2023-2024
- “Top 40 Under 40” List, The National Black Lawyers, 2019
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, 2018
- Co-Author, “Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar?” ABA Forum on Communications Law’s Communications Lawyer, Fall 2020, Vol. 36, No. 1 Issue (January 2021)
- Panelist, “Texas Market: Is Everything Bigger in Texas? Trends That Are Reshaping the Legal Industry,” Georgetown Texas Club (October 2020)
- Harris County Attorney’s Office – Christian D. Menefee’s Organizational Advisory Committee, Member, 2020-2021
- Yellowstone Schools (Yellowstone Academy and Yellowstone College Prep), Board Member, 2020-Present
- OneGoal, Young Advisory Board Member, 2015-Present
- One Night, Co-Founder, 2015-Present
- UT School of Law Houston Young Alumni Steering Committee, 2014-Present
- UT School of Law Diversity Recruiting Committee, Chair, 2012-Present
- Houston City Councilman Dwight Boykins’ Generation Next Council, Member, Economic Development Team, 2015
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
February 10, 2021Newsletters
Featuring insights on January 6/8 and the dangers journalists face; diversity, inclusion, and the media bar; recent client results and Firm highlights.
January 22, 2021Insights
Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar? | ABA Communications Lawyer
By James Carlos McFall, Trey McDonald, and Miguel Ortiz
December 18, 2020Client Results
A Jackson Walker team led by Houston partners Chip Babcock, John Edwards, and Trey McDonald obtained a complete dismissal of a high-stakes 2016 class action suit filed against clients Dr. Mehmet Oz, his production company ZoCo Productions, Harpo Productions, and Sony Pictures Television.
October 30, 2020Newsletters
Featuring “US Supreme Court Grabs Attention of Tech Giants as Past Immunity Granted by Section 230 Is Called Into Question,” “Establishment of Press Council Marks Milestone in Reform Process,” “The First Amendment Is the Soul of Our Democracy,” “Here We Are Now, Entertain Us,” and Firm-related news and highlights.
October 30, 2020Insights
US Supreme Court Grabs Attention of Tech Giants as Past Immunity Granted by Section 230 Is Called Into Question
By Trey McDonald | A recent Supreme Court decision garnered attention from tech companies as Justice Thomas welcomed the Court to consider whether the text of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act “aligns with the current state of immunity enjoyed by Internet platforms.”
October 14, 2020Speaking Engagements
On October 15, Trey McDonald and James Carlos McFall join Georgetown Texas Club for a discussion on the current opportunities in the Texas legal market and trends that are reshaping the legal industry.
October 2, 2020Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2020 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 25, 2020Insights
On March 24, 2020, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo issued a “Stay Home, Work Safe” order in effect until 11:59 p.m. on April 3, unless extended.