William A.I. McDonald
Trey McDonald is a litigator with experience in Texas, New York, and California federal courts and Texas state courts. He practices media litigation, trademark and copyright litigation, and complex commercial litigation with a focus on First Amendment, defamation, false advertising, and Lanham Act claims.
He has represented media personalities and companies including Oprah Winfrey, Harpo Productions Inc., Dr. Mehmet Oz, Zoco Productions, LLC, Sony Pictures Television, Inc., and Tuft & Needle.
B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, Morehouse College
- Stanford University Exchange Fellow, Political Science
- Dean’s Academic Award for Superior Academic Achievement
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- President, Thurgood Marshall Legal Society
- Semifinalist, Susman Godfrey Moot Court Competition
- Legislative staffer, Honorable Texas State Senator Royce West during the 82nd Texas Legislative regular and special sessions
United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Representative matters include:
- Defended Tuft & Needle against Mattress Firm in a trademark dilution lawsuit filed in Texas federal court.
- Represented a media personality and skin care company involving claims for false endorsement, trademark dilution, and false advertising.
- Defended a media personality and media production company in a unfair competition and false advertising lawsuit filed in New York federal court.
- Defending a media personality and three media companies in a class action consumer protection lawsuit filed in California federal court.
- “Top 40 Under 40” List, The National Black Lawyers, 2019
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow, 2018
- Co-Author, “Race, Diversity, Inclusion, and the Media Bar: Will the National Conversation on Race, Diversity, and Inclusion Bring About Meaningful, Lasting Change Within Our Bar?” ABA Forum on Communications Law’s Communications Lawyer, Fall 2020, Vol. 36, No. 1 Issue (January 2021)
- Panelist, “Texas Market: Is Everything Bigger in Texas? Trends That Are Reshaping the Legal Industry,” Georgetown Texas Club (October 2020)
- Harris County Attorney’s Office – Christian D. Menefee’s Organizational Advisory Committee, Member, 2020-2021
- Yellowstone Schools (Yellowstone Academy and Yellowstone College Prep), Board Member, 2020-Present
- OneGoal, Young Advisory Board Member, 2015-Present
- One Night, Co-Founder, 2015-Present
- UT School of Law Houston Young Alumni Steering Committee, 2014-Present
- UT School of Law Diversity Recruiting Committee, Chair, 2012-Present
- Houston City Councilman Dwight Boykins’ Generation Next Council, Member, Economic Development Team, 2015