Valery Piedra is an attorney in the corporate section of Jackson Walker’s Houston office. Valery assists clients in various business matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, private offerings, venture capital and serving as outside general counsel for companies. Valery works in a broad range of industries including media and entertainment, fashion, and real estate. She was a Summer Associate with Jackson Walker in 2017 and 2018.
While in law school, Valery was active in South Texas College of Law Houston’s advocacy program, participated in the Trademark Clinic, and served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Alfred H. Bennett of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
B.S., The University of Texas at Austin
J.D., magna cum laude, South Texas College of Law
- Presidential Fellow
- Order of the Lytae
- Order of the Barristers
- Dean’s Outstanding Advocate Award
- Langdell Scholar (Torts I, Torts II)
- Trademark Clinic
- Mock Trial
- Moot Court
- Young Lawyer Spotlight, The Houston Lawyer, September/October 2022
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Agency & Partnership, Evidence, Criminal Procedure and Civil Trial Advocacy
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Scholar
- Marina and Bernadino Agosto, Sr. Award
- John F. Ensle Award
- Hispanic National Bar Association Uvaldo Herrera National Moot Court Competition, Finalist
- American Association for Justice National Student Trial Competition, Semi-Finalist
- American Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, Semi-Finalist
- American Bar Association National Appellate Advocacy Competition, Quarter-Finalist
- National Civil Trial Competition, Most Professional
- Juvenile and Children’s Advocacy Project
- Juvenile Records Sealing Project
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Entertainment and Sports Law Section 2022-2023 Chair-Elect
- Corporate Counsel Sections – Member
- National Association of Legal Advocacy Educators, Member
- Houston Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member
- Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Mexican American Bar Association, Member
- Hispanic Business Student Association, Member
April 24, 2023Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2023
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
December 20, 2022Mentions
Valery Piedra Featured in The Houston Lawyer’s Young Lawyer Spotlight
In this Young Lawyer Spotlight featured in The Houston Lawyer, Valery Piedra discusses the importance of family, community, and her passion for media and entertainment law.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2022
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 29, 2021Newsletters
JW Media | VIA ePostcard – May 2021
One of These Things Is Not Like the Other: SCOTUS Narrows the TCPA’s Application in Autodialer Cases, But Certain Marketing and Messaging Practices Are Still at Risk; Morality Clauses Take Center Stage: Tips to Help Protect Your Next Project From Being Associated With Talent Controversy; Client Results: Roku and Technicolor, S.A.; Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2021 Texas Rising Stars; Eric Wong Participates in Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Program
April 20, 2021Insights
Morality Clauses Take Center Stage: Tips to Help Protect Your Next Project From Being Associated With Talent Controversy
By Valery Piedra & Emilio Nicolas
In talent agreements, a morality clause allows film producers to terminate a contract if the talent has engaged in certain socially objectionable behavior or otherwise ends up in a scandal that might harm the project.
October 2, 2020Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – October 2020
View Jackson Walker’s October 2020 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
- “Morality Clauses Take Center Stage: Tips to Help Protect Your Next Project From Being Associated With Talent Controversy,” Jackson Walker Insights (April 2021)
- “STCL Houston Extends Reign of Advocacy Excellence, Earning Its Unrivaled 135th National Advocacy Championship,” Law School News, South Texas College of Law Houston (March 2021)
- “Avoiding Fashion Paux Pas: Factors to Consider When Drafting Agreements for Fashion Companies,” Jackson Walker Insights (January 2022)
- “From Celebrity Spokesmen to Big-Name Designers, Brands Grapple With How to Deal With “Morals” Issues,” The Fashion Law (July 2021)