W. Ross Forbes
For over 20 years, W. Ross Forbes, Jr. has focused his practice on litigating business disputes in both state and federal courts. Ross chairs the Jackson Walker litigation section, which includes approximately 150 lawyers. Additionally, he represents clients in arbitrations administered under the AAA Rules, UNCITRAL Rules, JAMS Rules, and by FINRA.
Ross has tried and won jury and non-jury trials as well as arbitrations. His substantive areas of practice include representing clients in cases of alleged fraud and negligent misrepresentation; breach of fiduciary duty; breach of contract; tortious interference with contract; partnership and limited partnership disputes; claims relating to non-competition agreements; theft of trade secrets; and other claims arising in business disputes. Ross also has extensive experience representing international clients in litigation, having successfully represented individuals and entities from Afghanistan, Brazil, Belgium, Canada, England, Germany, Mexico, and Pakistan.
B.A., cum laude, Southern Methodist University
J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Won AAA arbitration in 2019 on claimants’ fraud claim relating to their private equity investment in an energy project. Clients/claimants recovered in excess of $5 million.
- Won jury trial in 2016 for limited partner in dispute with several partners and others on claims for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Won bench trial in 2015 for investor in offshore investment scheme.
- First Dallas Holdings, Inc. v. Humphrey, Cause No. 10-08453, In the 162nd Judicial District Court of Dallas County, Texas.
Represented investment firm in lawsuit for specific performance to obtain a commercial building in Dallas. Won jury verdict and client obtained building.
- In re Wachovia Securities, LLC, 312 S.W.3d 243 (Tex. App. – Dallas 2010, no pet.)
Convinced court of appeals to overrule trial court’s denial of motion to compel arbitration on behalf of securities firm facing lawsuit alleging fraud and negligent misrepresentation.
- Lone Star Fund v. Barclays Bank, 594 F.3d 383 (5th Cir. 2010)
Represented investment bank in trial court and on appeal and obtained a dismissal with prejudice which was affirmed on appeal against hedge fund alleging securities fraud and common law fraud in the sale of mortgage backed securities.
- MRT, Inc. v. Vounckx, 299 S.W.3d 500 (Tex.App. – Dallas 2009, no pet.)
Represented renowned Belgian high technology research institute in a jury trial and on appeal and obtained a take nothing judgment in defense of claims of fraud and negligent misrepresentation which was affirmed on appeal.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2006-2009, 2011
- Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine, 2006
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Law Board of Visitors, 2018-Present
- Greater Dallas Chambers’ Leadership Dallas Program, Graduate
- Leadership Dallas Alumni Association, Board Member, 2011-2016
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow