The importance of data privacy and cybersecurity has been highlighted by the almost-daily news reports of data breaches.
Some of those incidents are the result of internal mistakes, like lost or stolen laptops, while others are the result of malicious attacks through vectors like phishing emails or malware-compromised flash drives. In the last year, the number of ransomware attacks—where malware is used to lock computer files and other electronic assets belonging to the victim until a ransom is paid—have increased significantly.
For these reasons, assuring cybersecurity has become a necessity for businesses across all industries. Jackson Walker’s Cybersecurity practice serves as a resource for businesses taking proactive steps to manage their cybersecurity risks and is there to walk alongside you when your company experiences a data breach, leveraging the experience garnered from years of assisting clients through the myriad of regulatory, practical and technical steps that need to be taken when a breach occurs. The consequences of information compromise present business issues that require legal planning and action to mitigate the risks to the enterprise and its owners. We encourage a proactive approach to lay the groundwork to protect legal interests, promote strong corporate governance, and reduce the potential of financial losses, legal missteps, significant litigation, and other actions arising from information compromise.
- Representing a market leader in secure file transfer, in venture capital investment in a whitelisting application company
- Defended class action seeking $50 million in damages from an Internet-based publisher of geopolitical analysis that fell victim to an “anonymous” hack resulting in theft of its subscribers’ credit card data.
- Advised clients on proper procedure and conducts forensic investigations in the event of a security breach, both from external hackers and internally by disgruntled employees.
- Advised national non-profit regarding ramifications of data disclosure when third party software unintentionally wrote donor/member data into a publicly viewable internet page.
- Assisted hospital system impacted by employee data disclosure resulting from the Anthem data breach
- Assisted hospital system with ransomware incident
- Guided multiple clients through regulatory and industry standards compliance, including Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) reliability standards, and Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction standards
- Assistance in the development of policies in relation to security and enforceability for online transactions for a banking institution
- Drafted standard HIPAA documentation and forms (including Notice of Privacy Practices, Policies & Procedures, Business Associate Agreements, Patient
- Authorizations, and breach notification forms) for the Texas Medical Association to provide to its physician members
IRS Warns of Evolving W-2 Phishing Scam
John Jackson and Sara Chelette Obtain Certified Information Privacy Manager Certification
‘Oil Daily’ Quotes Sara Hollan Chelette on Cybersecurity in Energy Industry
Sara Hollan Chelette Obtains Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe Certification
Fourth Circuit Affirms CGL Coverage of Cyber Incident
Sara Hollan Chelette Offers Insight Into the Pending Suit Against Wendy's
First Choice Federal Credit Union vs. Wendy's : Will Plaintiff's EMV Arguments Get A Frosty Reception?
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 32 'Super Lawyers - Rising Stars'
Jonathan Lass to Speak on Technology and Intellectual Property Transactions at UT School of Law's 28th Annual Technology
John Jackson and Sara Chelette Earn Certified Information Privacy Professional Certification
Stephanie Sparks Moderates Panel on the Future of Electric Energy
California Passes GDPR-Lite: Strictest Privacy Law in United States
Internet of Things Part 2: Dogs, Cameras, and Cybersecurity
All 50 States Have Breach Notification Laws
Stephanie Chandler to Receive 2017 Women’s Leadership Award from the San Antonio Business Journal
Phishing in Flood Waters: Avoiding Hurricane Harvey Cyber Risks
BTI Lists Jackson Walker in Report on Firms with the Best Collaboration
Texas Lawyer Honors Mary Emma Karam and Amanda Zimmerman with 2017 Professional Excellence Awards
Texas Legislature Passes Student Privacy Act
Internet of Things: What Is It and Why Do I Care?
Internet of Things Part 3: How Your Smart Toothbrush Is An Idea Worth Protecting
Matt Acosta Presents Two-Hour CLE Program on The Internet of Things
Matt Acosta Moderates Panel at Eastern District of Texas Bench Bar Conference
Stephanie Chandler Guides Technology Startup Investors on Startup Valuation, Red Flags, and Raising Money
Our team is composed of attorneys from across the firm. We believe that by taking a multi-disciplinary approach, we can efficiently and effectively provide our clients with the advice and counsel they need for a full spectrum of legal concerns.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
- Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA)
- Gramm-Leach Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Regulatory compliance
- Website privacy policies
- Information security policies and procedures
- Document retention policies
- Best practices for information handling
- Employee training programs
- Commercial transactions that involve the transfer of personal information
- Vendor agreements
- Incident response plans
- Data breaches and breach notification
- Working with security professionals and forensic experts
- Data breach litigation European Union data protection requirements
- Complying with import and export regulations related to encryption technologies
- Advising boards and executives on risk management