Jackson Walker is a leader in guiding operators, producers, pipeline and midstream companies and owners through the maze of local entitlements. We work with clients in identifying the land use approvals most appropriate for their projects, assisting them in obtaining those approvals from public agencies, and helping them implement cost-effective approaches to their projects. This includes advising on regulatory issues, negotiating with public officials, agency staff, and other interested parties, presenting projects at public hearings, and negotiating agreements with agencies. We are also very experienced in managing the strategy and tactics involved in contested cases in the public arena.
Attorneys in our Land Use and Municipal Law practice group offer a broad range of capabilities in such matters as the following:
- securing appropriate zoning for drilling sites, compressor stations and other production facilities
- requesting various permits for drilling sites, compressor stations and other production facilities
- pursuing variances and special exceptions
- reviewing proposed ordinances and regulations and recommending modifications to aid in the production and transportation of gas
- addressing subdivision and platting issues with regard to permits and developing pad sites
- negotiating agreements with local governments on behalf of operators, producers and midstream companies
- pursuing licenses for approval to use or cross public right-of-way
- collaborating with members of our Environmental Practice Group in addressing local regulatory matters that include environmental issues such as Municipal Settings Designations
- assisting members of our Litigation Practice Group
- securing economic development incentives
Regulatory “Due Diligence” in Connection with Real Estate Acquisitions
In cooperation with a client’s other consultants, we are able to prepare a land use due diligence analysis of existing or proposed development projects to identify land use issues which may interfere with the desired use of the site. The results of our analysis enable clients to make more knowledgeable decisions regarding transactions, including possibly renegotiating certain terms to address resolution of the issues we have identified.