Mike Nasi Named One of the Nation's "Top Ten Environmental Attorneys Under 40 to Watch" by Law 360
Mike Nasi is a partner with the Environmental and Legislative Affairs Practice Group in the Austin office of Jackson Walker L.L.P. where he practices environmental law in areas of air, water, reclamation and waste management and manages the firm's air quality practice. As part of the firm's Environmental and Energy practice groups, Mr. Nasi secures environmental permits for and is active in state and federal policy development on behalf of corporations, governmental entities, and cooperatives in the electric power generation, mining, oil & gas, steel manufacturing, and recycling industries. Mr. Nasi has been practicing before state and federal environmental and energy agencies and the Texas Legislature for more than 17 years in Austin.
Attorney Profile: Mike Nasi — Committed to Environmental Law
More about Michael J. Nasi: Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Nasi is an appointed member of the legislatively-created TCEQ Pollution Control Property Tax Exemption Advisory Committee. He serves as Vice-Chairman of the State Bar of Texas Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section and Chairs the Austin Chamber of Commerce State Issues Committee. Mr. Nasi is also a member of the Travis County Bar Association; the Austin Bar Association; and the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources.
Mr. Nasi donates his time and legal services to the Salvation Army, where he serves as Vice-Chair of the Board and Co-Chairs the Development Committee for the Austin area Command. Mike also donates his time to the Austin Clean Cities Program and the Sustainable Biodiesel Alliance.
More about Michael J. Nasi: Biography | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Nasi was recognized in 2010 by Environmental Law 360 as one of the "Top 10 Environmental Attorneys in America Under 40" and has been honored in Who's Who — Texas for Environmental Law, in The Best Lawyers in America under Environmental Law, as a "Super Lawyer" (2012) and "Rising Star" (2005, 2010) by Thomson Reuters, and as an "Up and Coming" leader by Chambers U.S.A. in the area of Environmental Law.
More about Michael J. Nasi: Biography | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Nasi authors chapters for the Environmental Law Handbook in West Publishing's Texas Practice Series on Environmental Enforcement, Hazardous Substance Spill Reporting & Response, and Brownfield Redevelopment. He has authored articles on air quality, waste permitting, Brownfield redevelopment, environmental enforcement, and other environmental law issues in numerous trade journals and publications, including the Texas Environmental Law Journal. Recent articles include:
- Co-author, "If You Build It, They Will Come: The Texas Offshore Carbon Repository and Its Role in the Future of Carbon-Based Energy," Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law (Volume 5, No. 1)(2009-2010)
- Co-author, "How Carbon Capture and Storage Can Protect the Planet and the Global Economy," Petroleum Journal (February 2010)
- Co-author, "Environmental & Energy Legislative Update on the 81st Texas Legislature: Key Victories for Clean Carbon, Quiet Victories for Renewables, and as for the Rest, a Chub to the Head," Texas Environmental Superconference (August 2009)
- Co-author, "Carbon Regulation Backgrounder," The University of Texas School of Law 2009 Carbon and Climate Change, Austin, TX (February 2009)
- Co-author, "Congressional Update on Selected Carbon Storage Issues," The University of Texas School of Law 2009 Carbon and Climate Change, Austin, TX (February 2009)
Mr. Nasi is frequently an invited speaker at seminars and conferences related to his areas of energy and environmental law in Texas and throughout the country. Recent presentations include the following:
- "Environmental Challenges Facing Resource Development Today," Gulf Coast Power Association's 27th Annual Spring Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas (April 9, 2013)
- "Roadmap for CCUS EOR State Incentives," Gasification Technologies Council Board/Member's Workshop, Austin, Texas (February 1, 2013)
- "Developing the Framework for a Midwest/Ohio River Valley Regional Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Initiative," Midwest/Ohio River Valley Carbon Capture, Use and Storage (CCUS) Knowledge Sharing Workshop, Alexandria, Virginia (August 7, 2012)
- "The EPA Avalanche and What is Being Done to Stop It," Wyoming Mining Association Annual Meeting, Moran, Wyoming (June 21, 2012)
- "Developing the Framework for a Gulf Coast Regional EOR Initiative," SECARB Phase III CCUS Knowledge Sharing Workshop, in cooperation with the Southern States Energy Board, Houston, Texas (June 4, 2012)
- "CO2-EOR Lessons and Opportunities," Wye Workshop on Strategic Initiatives for Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage (CCUS) Deployment, Queenstown, Maryland (April 3, 2012)
- "Big Picture Energy & Environmental Issues," Texas Conservative Coalition Research Institute (TCCRI) Energy Summit, San Antonio, Texas (March 21, 2012)
- "Update on Federal Regulation of Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) and Legal Assessment of How States & the Regulated Community Should Prepare," Electric Utility Consultants, Inc. (EUCI) CCR Conference, Nashville, Tennessee (February 28, 2012)
- "Shelter from the Storm: An Update on Challenges to EPA Air Regulations," National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) Environmental Meeting, San Antonio, Texas (February 27, 2012)
- "We Need it All - The Importance of Fuel Diversity to the Texas Grid and Texas Manufacturers," Texas Association of Manufacturers (TAM) Annual Summit, San Marcos, Texas (February 15, 2012)
- "Roadmap for State Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage Incentives," Department of Energy CCUS Strategic Workshop, Queenstown, Maryland (November 1, 2011)
- "Legislative and Federal Regulatory Update," Texas Mining and Reclamation Association Annual Meeting, Bastrop, Texas (October 25, 2011)
- "World Energy Reality Check," Jackson Walker Land Use Seminar, Austin, Texas (October 19, 2011)
- "Update on Federal Regulations Impacting Utilities," Southern States Energy Board & Southern Governor's Association Meeting, Asheville, North Carolina (August 19, 2011)
- "The Butter Battle - a Texas Legislative Update," 23rd Annual Environmental Superconference, Austin, Texas (August 4, 2011)
- "Texas and Federal Enviornmental Update," Jackson Walker Energy Briefing, Houston, Texas (July 19, 2011)
- "Environmental Legislative Update," State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 24, 2011)
- "The EPA Train Wreck and How it Will Impact Texas," Texas Public Policy Foundation Legislative Policy Orientation, Austin, Texas (May 25, 2011)
- "CCS, Carbon Regulation, and Carbon Management: Legislative Issues," University of Texas School of Law Carbon Conference, Austin, Texas (February 9, 2011)
- Guest Lecturer, University of Texas School of Law, presenting "World View Reality Check on Energy and Environmental Policy," Austin, Texas (October 27, 2010)
- "Legislative Update & Predictions for 2011," Texas Mining & Reclamation Association's Annual Meeting (October 26, 2010)
- "Overview of State Programs to Encourage Clean Carbon Technology," 6th Annual Clean Carbon Policy Summit and Project Expo, Austin, Texas (October 5, 2010)
- "CCP Developments and Legislative Update & Predictions for 2011," Texas Aggregates & Concrete Association Environmental Meeting (September 27, 2010)
- "New Clean Carbon Technology in the Production of Fuels and Power," University of Texas School of Law Gas & Power Institute, Houston, Texas (September 24, 2010)
- Chair and Presenter of "State Program Issues & Strategies," EUCI's Future of Coal Combustion Products Conference, Denver, Colorado (July 22-23, 2010)
- Panelist in the UT Engineering Department's program entitled The Future of the Electricity Industry, Austin, TX (June 10, 2010)
- Co-Chair of EUCI's Future of Coal Combustion Products Conference, Houston, Texas (March 29-30, 2010) where he also presented "Legal Issues Regarding State Programs in Light of New Federal CCP Regulations."
- "The Texas Edge: Legislative and Policy Initiatives and Experience with and Demand for CO2," University of Texas School of Law Carbon and Climate Change Conference, Austin, TX (February 18, 2010)
Links to Publications
More about Michael J. Nasi: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | News
B.A. Government and History, The University of Texas at Austin
- Attended the University of New Mexico prior to graduation.
J.D. Environmental Law, University of Houston Law Center
- Attended the University of Texas School of Law prior to graduation.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit