Trial & Appellate Litigation
Jackson Walker is the “go-to” trial firm for many clients in complex or bet-the-company cases in Texas and across the U.S. Clients often tell us, “We hire you for the difficult ones.” Our trial attorneys are known for advocacy, judgment, and responsiveness. Listening, understanding and believing in the goals of our clients are our guideposts in delivering results at the courthouse.
Jackson Walker’s trial group is one of the Southwest’s largest, encompassing about 30 percent of the firm’s approximately 500 attorneys. Our diverse experience covers multiple industry sectors and specialty practice areas and takes us into courthouses across the Lone Star State, from the major markets of Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Austin and San Antonio to the Rio Grande Valley, East and West Texas, and the Gulf Coast. Our trial practice also spans the U.S., as we have litigated cases in nearly every state in the union.
We remind ourselves every day of the privilege we enjoy representing outstanding clients in important cases demanding the best we can offer.
- Results: We are known for our expertise in bet-the-company and high-profile cases in Texas, nationally and internationally. Yet, we bring a client- and results-oriented focus to all cases, regardless of size or amount in controversy.
- Preparation: We prepare each case as if it were going to trial, which increases the opportunity for an early, favorable pre-trial resolution. If the case must be tried, we’re ready.
- Efficiency: We zealously represent our clients in litigation with a steady eye on the bottom line in terms of costs and desired results. We use best practices in project management to ensure predictability and cost control for our clients, and we adapt our fee structure to client needs, from traditional hourly billing at competitive rates to alternative fee arrangements.
- Technology: Here’s how Texas Lawyer described one of our partners in a high-profile trial. He “didn’t just tell the (Court) what he intended to prove, he used his timeline and PowerPoint presentation to prove his case.” Our innovative use of graphics and video exemplifies a commitment to excellence in the courtroom.
- Alternatives: Our attorneys are thoroughly experienced in all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration.
December 12, 2023
On Tuesday, December 12, Manny Schoenhuber (Jackson Walker) and Darcie Murray (MU) will present the final installment of the “Breaking Borders” series exploring the ins and outs of the U.S. business landscape for European companies and investors looking to expand into the U.S. market.
November 29, 2023
Jackson Walker proudly congratulates Bob Latham on his invitation to join the highly exclusive American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
November 21, 2023
The U.S. Supreme Court is currently considering a case that could reshape the practice of civil asset forfeiture – the process that allows the government to seize assets allegedly connected to criminal activity, absent a conviction or even an arrest.
By Jennifer Freel, Michael Murtha, and Mark Mariani
November 2, 2023
Jackson Walker proudly announces the firm’s inclusion in the 2024 edition of Best Law Firms® by Best Lawyers. This year, Jackson Walker observed notable improvements in the national rankings, including the rise of Appellate Practice to Tier 1, Banking and Finance Law and Litigation – Labor and Employment to Tier 2, and the addition of Energy Law and Environmental Law in Tier 3.
October 17, 2023
The 62 law firms identified among the “Most Feared in Litigation” are recognized for challenging conventions, taking on thorny issues, sharing early assessments with clients, surmounting obstacles, and linking unconnected ideas. This is Jackson Walker’s third year in a row on the list and its second year as an Intimidating Opponent.
October 16, 2023
Sarah Patel Pacheco to Discuss Best Practices for Bringing an Expert Witness to Trial at TexasBarCLE’s Fiduciary Litigation Course
Sarah Patel Pacheco will serve as a panelist during the luncheon presentation at the 18th Annual Fiduciary Litigation Course presented by the State Bar of Texas on December 14, 2023. The presentation, “Bringing Your Expert Witness to Trial,” will be moderated by Jason S. Scott (Osborne Helman Scott Knisley & Stanton) and will include Sarah Pacheco, Becky Beaver (Law Office of Becky Beaver), and Hon. Guy Herman (Travis County Probate Court No. 1).
October 16, 2023
This year, the firm proudly welcomes 19 new associates to expand our Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery, Corporate & Securities, Finance & Banking, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment, Real Estate, Trial & Appellate Litigation, and Trusts & Estates practices.
October 13, 2023
As Gannett Co., the parent company of leading national newspaper USA Today, faces off against tax services provider Ryan LLC in a defamation and fraud lawsuit, Paul Watler shared insight with the ABA Journal on the increase of libel cases and the changing legal landscape.
October 10, 2023
JW Fast Takes Podcast | ~6.5 minutes
In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, Josué Galván joins the Fast Takes podcast to share his family’s story and how his experiences have shaped his legal practice at Jackson Walker.