Steven D. Moore is a state tax lawyer whose practice includes planning and controversy work emphasizing sales tax, Texas franchise (aka "margin") tax, and insurance premium tax. Mr. Moore is dedicated, from a value-driven perspective, to helping his clients fully comply with and control their tax exposure.
Mr. Moore has extensive experience in state tax planning for multi-state business models, and regularly provides tax strategy advice relating to business acquisitions and divestitures.
An effective negotiator, Mr. Moore works to reach successful and economically viable resolutions to Texas sales, franchise, and insurance premium tax audits. To this end, Mr. Moore handles administrative hearings before the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts and works with the firm's litigation group to prosecute judicial resolution of Texas tax cases.
Recognized for his depth of expertise in state tax matters, Mr. Moore is one of the state's leading attorneys for guidance on the Texas margin tax and he frequently speaks on this topic, with ongoing commitments for presentations to Texas State Bar and University of Texas CLE programs.
More about Steven D. Moore: Experience | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
- 2013 Travis County District Court victory establishing wind farm construction company's right to Texas franchise tax exemption under Section 171.056 of the Texas Tax Code.
- Renewable energy project acquisition and development advice to maximize benefits from state and local tax incentives including Chapter 312 and Chapter 313 abatement work
- Frontier legal project design for new solar electricity business models to reconcile complex regulatory and corporate restrictions with state tax incentives
- Aircraft acquisitions, sales, and ongoing operations modeled to achieve best-available state tax treatment
- In-depth experience helping life insurance companies and P&C insurance companies successfully resolve Texas premium tax and retaliatory tax audits
- SALT work in large business acquisitions to navigate (i) Texas franchise tax results, (ii) preservation of state and local incentives, (iii) nexus concerns, (iv) transfer taxes, (v) occasional sale exemptions, and (vi) successor liability
- Planning and compliance with respect to Texas sales tax on services, including bundled "data processing" transactions
- Non-lobby monitoring and advising on pending and proposed Texas tax legislation and policy
More about Steven D. Moore: Biography | Involvement | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Moore is a past Chair of the State Bar of Texas State and Local Tax Committee. Mr. Moore serves on the board of directors for the Austin Technology Council Community Foundation.
Mr. Moore has a passion for classical music and dedicates a large part of his time to the arts in Austin. He serves on the Board of Trustees of KMFA Radio and served as Chairman of the Board from 2005 to 2013. He is actively involved in fundraisers and other community events to help sustain this non-profit service. Mr. Moore is also a past President and Board member of Austin Community Nursery Schools and has served as an Elder and a Finance Chair with the Central Presbyterian Church.
More about Steven D. Moore: Biography | Experience | Recognition | Speeches / Publications | News
Mr. Moore is listed in the 2015-2016 editions of The Best Lawyers in America under Insurance Law.
More about Steven D. Moore: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Speeches / Publications | News
Speeches / Publications
Mr. Moore's article "Nexus and State Tax Due Diligence" was published in the Summer 2012 edition of Texas Journal of Business Law. He has made numerous speaking presentations to major CLE programs across Texas dealing with various state tax and corporate topics, including "The New Texas Margin Tax."
Links to Publications
More about Steven D. Moore: Biography | Experience | Involvement | Recognition | News