James M. Alsup has extensive experience in real estate related areas. He represents both sellers and purchasers of all types of real estate, including raw land, office complexes, industrial projects, and retail centers. Jim is regularly involved in lease negotiations on behalf of both landlords and tenants. He has experience in real estate development, construction issues, and the formation of business entities. In connection with his representations of purchasers and owners of real estate projects, he often represents the borrower in loan and other financing transactions.
In addition to his real estate practice, Jim has been involved in general business transactions involving contracts and other matters. He has represented both the seller and the purchaser in the sale and purchase of businesses, particularly in transactions which involve extensive real estate assets. Jim’s clients include both individual investors and private and publicly traded companies.
Prior to entering private practice in 1976, Jim served as Briefing Attorney to Chief Justice Joe R. Greenhill of the Texas Supreme Court. He also served as Committee Counsel for the State Affairs Committee of the Texas Senate.
B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Real Estate Law, 2009-2021
- Lawyer of the Year – Austin, Real Estate Law, 2015
- State Bar of Texas
- Travis County Bar Association – Real Estate Section
- Real Estate Council of Austin
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Austin Parks Foundation, Board of Directors
- Austin Museum of Art, Past General Counsel
- Austin Community Nursery Schools, Trustee
- Committee for Wild Basin Wilderness, Inc., President
- West Austin Youth Association, Trustee