We believe in investing in our people right from the start, and many of our partners have spent their entire careers at the firm. We maintain a strong partner-to-associate ratio and take pride in staffing clients’ matters efficiently, so our associates have the opportunity to take on a great deal of responsibility early on in their career. Plus, our broad range of clients allows our associates to handle a wide variety of high-value work.
Jackson Walker is looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Leadership capabilities
- Academic excellence
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Community involvement
- A desire to develop a practice over the long term
- Goal to become a partner at the firm
2016 On Campus Interview Schedule
||Texas on Tour (Dallas) Law Schools: Georgetown, Northwestern, Virginia
||Texas on Tour (Houston) Law Schools: Georgetown, Northwestern, Virginia
||Sunbelt Minority Job Fair
||Vanderbilt School of Law Job Fair (Dallas/Houston)
||Duke School of Law Job Fair (Dallas)
|| SWBLSA Job Fair
||Notre Dame School of Law
||Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
||University of Chicago School of Law
||University of Virginia School of Law
||University of Texas School of Law
||Baylor University School of Law
||St. Mary’s School of Law
||University of Houston School of Law
||Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law
||South Texas College of Law
We collect resumes at the following law schools’ career services offices:
- Louisiana State University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas Tech University
- Washington University
If we do not visit or collect resumes from your law school, please feel free to apply to us directly.
Jackson Walker Law School Alumni
Our attorneys are alumni from the following schools:
- Baylor University School of Law
- Duke University School of Law
- Georgetown University Law Center
- St. Mary’s University School of Law
- South Texas College of Law
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
- Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law
- University of Houston Law Center
- University of Texas School of Law
- University of Virginia School of Law
- Vanderbilt University Law School
Search for your law school and find JW alumni here
NALP – The Association for Legal Career Professionals – is a nonprofit educational association established to meet the needs of all participants in the legal employment process. NALP’s membership includes virtually every ABA-approved law school in the U.S., many Canadian law schools, and hundreds of legal employers from both the public and private sectors.
Employers complete “NALP Forms” which provide a wealth of useful information to law students.
View our NALP forms:
Chambers Associate profile
We offer a first-half summer program, which typically starts in mid-May and runs for eight weeks with summer associates required to work for a minimum of six weeks. We work hard to tailor the size of our program to the needs of the firm and current legal market in order to maximize the potential for students to receive full-time offers. Participants in the summer program receive the same administrative support and privileges as our associates, as well as the opportunity to work side-by-side with partners on sophisticated projects. We offer a competitive summer associate compensation package. Currently, we pay our summer associates $3,462 per week subject to withholding as required by law.
Each summer associate is assigned two or three Responsible Attorneys, a team of partners and associates who will contact you a month or two before you start to welcome you and answer any questions you may have before you arrive. They will also take you to lunch on your first day, keep in touch with you throughout the program to help integrate you into the firm, and take you out for your farewell dinner at the conclusion of the program.
- Practice: We generally encourage summer associates to work in two different practice areas over the course of the program. Though many arrive with strong preferences for a given type of law, it is not uncommon for those preferences to change by the end of the summer, as students gain exposure to new practice areas.
- Assignments: In addition to putting your legal research and writing skills to work on real assignments, you’ll have the opportunity to attend client meetings, closings, negotiations, depositions, trials, and courtroom hearings.
- Mock Trial/ Mediation Seminar: In what is often one of the most rewarding experiences of the summer, summer associates will typically have the opportunity to prepare for and participate in a mock trial before an outside jury. For this exercise, attorneys at the firm, acting as presiding judges, trim down actual cases that have been tried, or will be tried, to a manageable size for two summer associate teams. In other cases, summer associates may participate in a Mediation Seminar, where they will receive practical instruction designed to make young lawyers better advocates for their clients in mediation. The valuable skills developed in the Mediation Seminar can be successfully applied in either a transactional or litigation setting.
Each city has a full social calendar for the summer. These planned events afford you the opportunity to get to know as many of our attorneys as possible. These events also provide our attorneys with the opportunity to get to know you. This allows you to get a feel for our culture and find out if we’re a fit for you.
We also have a statewide summer associate event that brings all our summer associates together in one office for a special presentation by the firm’s Managing Partner and other department heads. The event typically includes a reception and dinner that allows the entire summer associate class socialize as a group and meet JW attorneys from other offices.
Check out more photos of our Summer Associate Events!
Have you attended an event? Tag yourself and like our page
Jackson Walker has a competitive compensation package for entry-level attorneys in the amount of $180,000.
Summer associates who accept an offer of full-time employment on their graduation from law school receive the following benefits before their first day:
- Graduation bonus
- Texas bar exam and review course expenses
- Relocation expenses
Jackson Walker offers a competitive benefits package for associates that includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, accidental death, life and supplemental life insurance
- Business travel accident coverage
- Flexible spending accounts (both health care and dependent care), Section 125 plan (pre-tax benefits), Section 132 plan (transportation)
- Domestic partner benefits
- Employee assistance program
- Firm-subsidized backup child care and elder care
- 12 weeks paid maternity leave/6 weeks paid primary caregiver leave
- Alternative work schedule policy
- Immediate eligibility to participate in 401(k) plan
- Blackberry devices, laptop computers and technology support (including iPhones and iPads)
- Membership dues to national, state and local bar associations and cost of participation in various activities
- CLE opportunities including State Bar of Texas online CLE
- Comprehensive associate professional development programs
- Business development and client entertainment expenses
Law Students and Entry-Level Attorneys
Current law students, please CLICK HERE to apply for a Summer Associate or entry-level position. We accept write-in applications from 1L students starting on December 1st and from 2L students who attend law schools that are not on our current on-campus recruiting schedule.
To reach a Recruiting Coordinator directly, contact:
LLM students and current Judicial Clerks, please submit your application to Meghan Miller.