Intellectual Property | Energy
Our IP attorneys understand issues facing our energy clients. Not only do we assist our energy clients with obtaining patent and trademark protection for their intellectual property, we also work closely with our energy clients in connection with licensing matters from both the licensor and licensee perspectives.
To that end, we provide experienced, practical, business-oriented support to assist our energy clients with negotiating and drafting licenses for exploration, drilling, and production technologies throughout the world. We have extensive experience in transactions involving the technical assets associated with all types of energy assets, including the transfer of intellectual property rights, the assignment of operating licenses, registration of licenses in foreign jurisdictions, lien registration and cancellation, indemnification relating to intellectual property rights, and chain of title verification.
We never take the approach that one standard form meets all needs. Whether it be a patent application or a license for seismic data or operations software, with our solutions oriented approach, we take a collaborative approach and work with our clients in a manner that not only achieves their business objectives, but does so in a cost-effective way.
- One of the largest oil companies in the world regularly engages JW to provide clearance opinions for upstream technology.
- We regularly represent one of the largest oil field service companies (and many other energy related companies) in patent prosecution.
- We recently successfully represented an oil service company in enforcing a covenant not to compete lawsuit against the seller of a significant portion of its business.
- We regularly represent an oil field service company in agreements relating to licensing its technology and in developing new technology.
- We successfully defended an oil and gas service company in a copyright infringement lawsuit.
- We are prosecuting a patent for certain “green technology” that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has recognized as materially enhancing the quality of the environment and materially contributing to the more efficient utilization and conservation of energy resources.