Workplace Safety & Health
Providing a safe and healthy workplace for employees is one of an employer’s most important responsibilities.
Employers face a complex network of legal requirements regarding workplace safety, most notably the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). At Jackson Walker, our attorneys have the skill and experience necessary to ensure clients comply with OSHA and MSHA standards, as well as other federal and state regulations.
The first step to providing a safe workplace is the creation of safety and health management programs that detail processes for recordkeeping, safety programs, self-audits, and inspections. We help our clients do this. We also offer training and education programs to provide companies with the tools to maintain a safe workplace.
When issues arise, the actions taken in the first 36 hours after the incident can mitigate or exacerbate liability. We advise and defend employers at all stages of regulatory enforcement actions. We are particularly adept at bringing about expeditious remedies through effective handling of inspections and the negotiation of favorable informal settlements of citations. When litigation is necessary, we have the skill and experience to see clients through both trial and appeal.
August 1, 2017
Jackson Walker is proud to announce that Texas Lawyer has honored partners Mary Emma Karam and Amanda Zimmerman with its 2017 Professional Excellence Awards.
- Interpretations of OSHA/MSHA regulations
- Consultation with clients regarding compliance with OSHA/MSHA standards
- Advice on OSHA/MSHA inspection procedures and assisting in the implementation of inspection response plans
- Representation of clients in connection with agency inspections
- Conduct compliance assessments and audits for workplace safety and health issues
- Preparation or review of written safety programs, standard operating procedures, workplace safety rules, and employee handbooks for compliance with local, state, and federal statutes
- Assistance regarding work-related fatalities and major injuries
- Representation of clients in challenging citations, negotiating settlements, and administrative proceedings