What You Need To Know
As the number of patients infected with COVID-19 escalates in the U.S. and abroad, businesses of all types and sizes must prepare for potential legal implications of dealing with Coronavirus in the workplace.
This page contains insights and resources from Jackson Walker attorneys, as well as outside resources and links that may be helpful to preparations within your organization. This page will be updated regularly with additional resources as the situation develops. For guidance specific to your business, contact a Jackson Walker attorney.
The webinar and resources on this page do not constitute legal or medical advice.
Insights & Resources
During this rapidly evolving situation, companies find themselves faced with the need to develop policies surrounding the illness. In our regularly-updated FAQ, we discuss some frequent questions from businesses on topics including healthcare, labor & employment, travel, business continuity, contracts, insurance, and corporate finance.
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Employee Benefits-Related Provisions in the “CARES Act” (March 27)
- U.S. Government Provides Additional Relief and Tools to Aid Employers and Employees During COVID-19 Pandemic (March 23)
- Employee Benefits Considerations Under the Families First Coronavirus Relief Act (March 18)
- IRS Guidance on COVID-19 and High Deductible Health Plans (March 11)
Government Relations & Public Policy
- Governor Abbott Restricts Airway Travel From Coronavirus Hotspots (March 27)
- Public Utility Commission of Texas Provides Relief to Customers Amid COVID-19 Pandemic (March 27)
- COVID-19 Leads to Delays in Texas Elections (March 23)
- Dallas County Issues “Shelter in Place” Order to Mitigate Spread of COVID-19 (March 22)
- Gov. Abbott Issues Executive Order to Mitigate Spread of COVID-19 in Texas (March 19)
Jackson Walker’s COVID-19 & Your Business newsletter features insights and resources on the Coronavirus, its impact on business in Texas and nationwide, and evolving legislative and regulatory developments.
- March 27: The CARES Act, Texas Regulatory Developments, and Updated Shelter Orders
- March 26: Paid Leave Guidance for Employers, Texas Increases Healthcare Capacity, Work From Home Podcast
- March 25: Texas Comptroller Offers Hotline for Struggling Businesses
- March 24: New Stay at Home Orders Issued, FFCRA Webinar Q&A Responses
- March 23: Employer Tools & Additional Relief, Texas Delays Elections, IRS Extends Deadlines
COVID-19 & Your Business: Families First Coronavirus Response Act (March 20)
Join JW attorneys for a webinar discussing key provisions of the FFCRA impacting employers, including the creation of the Emergency Family and Medical Leave Expansion Act and the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act as well as the acts related to employee benefits, amendments to other federal laws, and the tools provided to individuals and employers to help ride out the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak. RECENT DOL GUIDANCE STATES THAT THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE ACT IS APRIL 1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY REFERENCES IN THE ORAL PRESENTATION OF THE WEBINAR TO APRIL 2 SHOULD BE TO APRIL 1.
Coronavirus, Your Business, & What You Need To Know (March 5)
Join Jackson Walker attorneys Judy Garner (Labor & Employment), Virginia Mimmack (Healthcare), Katherine Staton (Litigation – Aviation), and Shannon Teicher (Cybersecurity & Technology) as they discuss what you need to know and provide recommendations for navigating potential legal and healthcare issues in order to protect your business and employees.
While Jackson Walker does not maintain or update the information from these outside resources, it may be helpful to your business.
Texas City Orders & Information
Texas State Trial Courts
- Bexar County: Order Regarding Settings in Civil Presiding and Monitoring Court Dockets (March 13, 2020)
- Dallas County cancels all jury trials until May 8, 2020
- Updates from Texas courts by Texas Lawyer
Texas Supreme Court
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Order (Mar. 13, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Second Order (Mar. 17, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Third Order (Mar. 19, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Fourth Order (Mar. 19, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Fifth Order (Mar. 20, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court / Court of Criminal Appeals Emergency Sixth Order (Mar. 22, 2020)
- Texas Supreme Court alerts & updates