Breck Harrison has a broad commercial litigation practice, with particular emphasis on the representation of electric power providers. Breck’s experience in the electric power arena includes the handling of disputes arising from supply interruptions and outages, contact incidents, and contracts for the production, purchase and delivery of electric power.
Breck also has extensive experience representing owners in disputes over the design and construction of significant commercial projects that include medical facilities, coal and gas-fired power plants, and water treatment facilities and distribution systems. In addition, Breck regularly represents clients in an array of complex business disputes that include business tort and contract actions, partnership and shareholder disputes, and fiduciary duty claims.
Breck maintains an active trial practice and has tried over two dozen cases to verdict and final judgment before federal and state court juries and bench trials, and before arbitration panels. He has litigated many significant cases involving complex issues arising from engineering and construction contracts, power purchase agreements, and cross-border marketing and distribution agreements. Breck also has significant experience litigating governmental immunity issues.
Prior to entering college and law school, Breck served in the United States Army’s Military Intelligence Corps from 1988 to 1992.
B.S., cum laude, Texas State University
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western District of Texas
- In Chase Bank v. Agape Round Rock Housing, Inc., obtained reversal on appeal of multi-million judgment against national bank on claims for wrongful handling of construction loan proceeds and trust funds for large multi-family project.
- In Dixie Equipment v. Energia de Ramos, obtained appellate ruling upholding $16 million arbitration award for defective construction of a power plant in Mexico, and rejecting challenges to award.
- Represented electric utility in defense of claims for property damage sustained at over 150 school campuses arising from interruptions in electric service.
- In In re Simons Broadcasting, LP, obtained directed verdict following two week federal court jury trial rejecting all claims against client for misappropriation and theft of trade secrets and proprietary information.
- Represented manufacturers in the defense of claims brought by distributors arising from marketing and distribution agreements, including a three week jury trial in California state court over claims for breach of exclusive marketing rights.
- In City of Austin v. Findley, obtained reversal on appeal of trial court’s denial of city’s plea to the jurisdiction based on governmental immunity in multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit.
- Trial counsel in contested case hearings at SOAH and the Railroad Commission of Texas over client rate increases for water and wastewater service, wastewater discharge permit sought by client coal mine owner and operator, and commercial fluid recycling facility permit sought by oil industry client.
- Obtained complete dismissal of property damage, personal injury and wrongful death claims for power interruptions and outages asserted against four electric utilities by over 20,000 plaintiffs in multi-district litigation arising from Winter Storm Uri.
- In Wynne v. LCRA, obtained appellate court’s affirmance of trial court’s dismissal of claims against river authority’s board of directors based on governmental immunity.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment of personal injury claims arising from electric contact incident based on circuitous indemnity arising from plaintiff’s violation of Texas Health & Safety Code Chapter 752.
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellows, 2023
- Acritas Stars, 2021
Breck serves on the Board of Directors for the Colorado River Alliance, which promotes education and responsible stewardship of the Colorado River and Highland Lakes.
Breck is also a PADI Open Water SCUBA Instructor and involved in local SCUBA instruction and outreach programs.
- Representation of electric power and water providers in disputes and claims arising from supply interruptions and outages, contact incidents and contracts for delivery
- Construction defects and claims arising from large-scale construction projects, including commercial buildings, electric power plants and water treatment facilities
- Contract disputes over the manufacture, sale and distribution of technology and equipment, and related intellectual property rights
- Shareholder, partnership and other business disputes including fiduciary duty, misappropriation, tortious interference and business disparagement claims