Breck Harrison has a broad commercial litigation practice, with particular emphasis on the representation of electric power providers. Breck’s experience in the electric power arena includes the handling of claims arising from supply interruptions and outages, contact incidents, and contracts for the production, sale and delivery of power. Breck also has extensive experience representing owners in disputes over the design and construction of significant commercial projects that include medical facilities, coal and gas-fired power plants, and water treatment facilities.
Breck spent the first few years of practice doing health care regulatory work and obtained experience representing clients in licensure and enforcement actions before state regulatory agencies. With that background, he continues to represent clients in administrative proceedings before SOAH and in declaratory judgment actions against state agencies. Breck also represents clients in an array of business disputes that include business tort actions and partnership and shareholder disputes.
Breck maintains an active trial practice and has tried over 20 cases to verdict and final judgment before federal and state court juries and bench trials, and before arbitration panels. He has litigated many significant cases involving complex issues arising from engineering and construction contracts, power purchase agreements, and marketing and distribution agreements.
Prior to practicing law, Breck served in the United States Army’s Military Intelligence Corps from 1988 to 1992.
B.S., cum laude, Texas State University
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western District of Texas
- In Chase Bank v. Agape Round Rock Housing, Inc., obtained reversal on appeal of multi-million judgment against national bank on claims for wrongful handling of construction loan proceeds and trust funds for large multi-family project.
- In Dixie Equipment v. Energia de Ramos, obtained appellate ruling upholding $16 million arbitration award for defective construction of a power plant in Mexico, and rejecting challenges to award.
- Represented electric utility in defense of claims for property damage sustained at over 150 school campuses arising from interruptions in electric service.
- In In re Simons Broadcasting, LP, obtained directed verdict following two week federal court jury trial rejecting all claims against client for misappropriation and theft of trade secrets and proprietary information.
- Represented manufacturers in the defense of claims brought by distributors arising from marketing and distribution agreements, including a three week jury trial in California state court over claims for breach of exclusive marketing rights.
- Trial counsel in contested case hearings at SOAH that include challenges to client’s rate increases for water and wastewater service, and challenges to wastewater discharge permit sought by client coal mine owner and operator.
- Acritas Stars, 2021
Breck serves on the Board of Directors for the Colorado River Alliance, which promotes education and responsible stewardship of the Colorado River and Highland Lakes.
Breck is also a PADI Open Water SCUBA Instructor and involved in local SCUBA instruction and outreach programs.
- Representation of electric power and water providers in disputes and claims arising from supply interruptions and outages, contact incidents and contracts for delivery
- Construction defects and claims arising from large-scale construction projects, including commercial buildings, electric power plants and water treatment facilities
- Contract disputes over the manufacture, sale and distribution of technology and equipment, and related intellectual property rights
- Shareholder, partnership and other business disputes including fiduciary duty, misappropriation, tortious interference and business disparagement claims