Brian Merkley advises individuals and closely held businesses with preparing and implementing plans that preserve and transfer wealth, achieve business objectives, and protect assets from unknown potential claims and lawsuits.
A significant portion of Brian’s practice is devoted to the disposition of estates and the design and implementation of plans that maximize the credits and exemptions from federal estate and gift taxes. He also assists high-net-worth families in transferring wealth to charities and family members using testamentary and lifetime strategies.
His business practice includes entity and tax minimization planning and the development of succession plans that efficiently transfer interests to family members or key employees.
Brian is also experienced in representing executors in probate administration and the settlement of estates.
B.B.A., Finance, University of Oklahoma
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law
Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Estate Planning
- Business Planning
- Asset Protection
- Texas Rising Star – Estate Planning and Probate, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2017-2021
- “Basis Adjustment Planning” Estate Planning Update of the Midland College Foundation Inc. and the Midland Memorial Foundation (2016)
- Presented to the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, Permian Basin Chapter (2016)
- Dallas Bar Association – Probate, Trust and Estates Section
- Dallas Estate Planning Council
- State Bar of Texas – Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Texas Bar College of the State Bar of Texas
- Midland Independent School District Education Foundation, Board Member, 2016-2017
- Boy Scouts of America, Varsity Coach, 2009-2015
- Allen Sports Association, Volunteer Coach – football, basketball, 2017-Present