Brian Merkley advises individuals and closely held businesses with preparing and implementing plans that preserve and transfer wealth, achieve business objectives, and protect assets from unknown potential claims and lawsuits.
A significant portion of Brian’s practice is devoted to the disposition of estates and the design and implementation of plans that maximize the credits and exemptions from federal estate and gift taxes. He also assists high-net-worth families in transferring wealth to charities and family members using testamentary and lifetime strategies.
His business practice includes entity and tax minimization planning and the development of succession plans that efficiently transfer interests to family members or key employees.
Brian is also experienced in representing executors in probate administration and the settlement of estates.
B.B.A., Finance, University of Oklahoma
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law
Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Estate Planning
- Business Planning
- Asset Protection
- Texas Rising Star – Estate Planning and Probate, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2017-2022
- “Basis Adjustment Planning” Estate Planning Update of the Midland College Foundation Inc. and the Midland Memorial Foundation (2016)
- Presented to the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, Permian Basin Chapter (2016)
- Dallas Bar Association – Probate, Trust and Estates Section
- Dallas Estate Planning Council
- State Bar of Texas – Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section
- Texas Bar College of the State Bar of Texas
- Midland Independent School District Education Foundation, Board Member, 2016-2017
- Boy Scouts of America, Varsity Coach, 2009-2015
- Allen Sports Association, Volunteer Youth Athletics Coach
February 13, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Announces Election of 16 Attorneys to Partnership
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 16 attorneys to the firm’s partnership, marking our largest number of partnership promotions to date.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2022 Texas Rising Stars
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
September 1, 2021Attorney News
Jackson Walker Welcomes Claire Raggio and Brian Merkley to Dallas Wealth Planning Group
Jackson Walker proudly welcomes Claire N. Raggio and Brian Merkley to the Dallas office. Claire joins the Firm as a partner and the chair of the Dallas Wealth Planning group, and Brian joins as senior counsel.