State Representative Drew Darby represents nine counties in West Texas spanning the Concho Valley and Permian Basin, an area larger than seven states.
Drew Darby was first elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 2006 to serve the people of House District 72. Drew is a lifelong West Texan, a native of San Angelo, and attended San Angelo public schools. Representative Darby graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a Bachelor of Business Administration, majoring in Finance and minoring in Accounting. He earned a Doctorate of Jurisprudence from the University of Texas in 1971 and is a graduate of the Emerging Political Leaders Program at the Darden School of Business, University of Virginia.
Drew currently serves as a member of the House Committee on Energy Resources and the House Committee on Licensing & Administrative Procedures. In previous sessions, Representative Darby has served as a member of the Legislative Budget Board, the State Water Implementation Fund for Texas Advisory Committee, chairman of the House Committee on Redistricting, and as a subcommittee chairman for the House Committee on Appropriations.
A successful businessman, Drew is the owner of Surety Title with offices throughout West Texas, and Of Counsel to the Energy and Real Estate practice group at the law firm of Jackson Walker, LLP. He is a member of the Texas Farm Bureau, the National Rifle Association, and the Texas Sheep and Goat Raiser’s Association.
Drew’s past leadership positions have been as a former member of the San Angelo City Council, former Chairman of the San Angelo Water Advisory Board, and former Chairman of the Lake Nasworthy Advisory Board.
Drew and his wife, Clarisa, have five children and nine grandchildren. They are members of the First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo.
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Football Scholarship
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- Graduate of Emerging POLITICIAL Leaders Program, University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business
- 2017 Legislative Champion Award, Texas Oil and Gas Association
- Service and Dedication to Education Award, Texas Retired Teachers Association
- Oil & Natural Gas Industries Texas Legislative Champion Award, 2013
- Best of the Legislature, Capitol Inside, 2013
- Best Legislator – Honorable Mention, Texas Monthly, 2013
- Citizen of the Year, San Angelo Chamber of Commerce, 2012
- Outstanding Legislator, Texas Land Title Association
- Champion for Free Enterprise Award, Texas Association of Business
- Outstanding Contribution to Law Enforcement, Texas Police Chiefs Association
- Guardian of Small Business, National Federation of Independent Business
- Champion for Children Award, Texas Coalition of Homes for Children
- Hall of Fame, Texas Realtors Association
- Best of the Legislature – Honorable Mention, Capitol Inside, 2011
- State Bar of Texas
- Tom Green County Bar Association
- Texas Land Title Association
- Texas Farm Bureau
- National Rifle Association
- Texas Sheep and Goat Raiser’s Association
- Extensively involved in the San Angelo community
- San Angelo City Council, Former Member
- San Angelo Water Advisory Board, Former Chairman
- Lake Nasworthy Advisory Board, Former Chairman
- First Presbyterian Church of San Angelo
- San Angelo Rotary Club