Erica Benites Giese
Erica Benites Giese is an attorney in the white collar and government investigations section of Jackson Walker’s San Antonio office.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, she served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Western District of Texas. In that role, she served as Chief of the District’s Financial Litigation Unit, and also served as the Chief of the San Antonio and Del Rio divisions.
Erica has extensive first-chair trial experience as well as civil and criminal litigation experience. As a state and federal prosecutor, she tried over 100 cases and handled thousands of grand jury presentments. Erica leverages this experience to assist clients facing grand jury investigations and offer guidance in responding to grand jury subpoenas.
In her practice, she handles civil and criminal white collar investigation and litigation matters, qui tam complaints and investigations, healthcare fraud matters, government contract fraud inquiries, bank and wire fraud investigations, and immigration worksite enforcement actions. She helps clients navigate the daunting task of responding to civil, criminal and administrative subpoenas, including Civil Investigative Demands. Erica also advises and advocates for individual and corporate victims of fraud. A Certified Fraud Examiner, she handles all types of fraud matters and internal investigations.
As a prosecutor, Erica spearheaded the creation of a Suspicious Activity Report Review Team in the San Antonio and Del Rio divisions, which resulted in her gaining a wealth of knowledge in Anti-Money Laundering compliance-related issues for financial institutions.
Since 2019, Scene in S.A. has recognized her as one of the “Best S.A. Lawyers” in the area of criminal defense.
Outside of Jackson Walker, Erica volunteers her time with the Hispanic National Bar Association as Deputy Region XII President and as a member of the Compliance and Ethics Section. She is also actively involved with the Federal Bar Association’s San Antonio Chapter, the U.S. District Court Admissions Committee, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, and the American Bar Association’s Women’s White Collar Defense Section.
Within the community, Erica serves on the Board of Meals on Wheels of San Antonio. She and her daughters also serve their community through the National Charity League – San Antonio Rose Chapter.
B.A., The University of Texas
M.S., Texas State University
J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law
- Editor, The Scholar: St. Mary’s Law Review on Minority Issues
- Student Attorney and Research Assistant, Center for Legal and Social Justice
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Represented a defendant in a complex federal healthcare fraud case, which resulted in a sentence of probation and approval of our proposed restitution amount.
- Represented national operator of acute care hospitals in its response to administrative subpoenas for records concerning a state application. My representation resulted in a favorable outcome for the client.
- Represented a defendant in a multi-defendant and multi-jurisdiction federal qui tam/whistleblower matter, which resulted in a dismissal of allegations against client.
- Represented a client in an civil DTPA investigation by the Texas Attorney General’s Office, which resulted in a dismissal of the complaint.
- Represented a defendant in a worksite enforcement investigation, resulting in a dismissal of all allegations by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
- Represented a defendant in a copyright infringement matter, resulting in a settlement and dismissal of the complaint.
- Represented a client in an inquiry from the Department of Justice, resulting in client not viewed as a target.
- Counseled non-profit organization during an internal investigation involving allegations of sexual assault.
- Represented a defendant in a business dispute, which resulted in a favorable settlement for no damages or fees.
- Represented a defendant in a business dispute with fraud allegations. Reached a settlement with no costs to client, and the matter was dismissed with prejudice.
- Counseled and represented transportation company in employment matter, which resulted in requested action by law enforcement.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2020
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation, 2019
- “Top Attorneys” List, Criminal Defense, San Antonio Magazine, 2021
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2019-2022
- Criminal Defense: White Collar
- General Litigation
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America, 2022
- “San Antonio’s Outstanding Women in Law,” San Antonio Scene, 2021
- Recipient, EOUSA Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney – Criminal, 2014
- Recognized, Federal Bar Association inaugural Women in the Law Conference, 2014
- “What to Know About the Department of Justice’s Nationwide Crackdown on Healthcare Fraud,” Jackson Walker Insights (September 2021)
- “Telemedicine Fraud During COVID-19,” Jackson Walker Insights (July 2020)
- “SBA Offers Safe Harbor on PPP Good Faith Certifications of Necessity,” Jackson Walker Insights (May 2020)
- “Opioids, Healthcare Enforcement, and Increased Scrutiny of Corporate Conduct for Criminal Prosecution,” Jackson Walker Insights (May 2019)
- “In Defense of the Family: Maintaining the Parental Rights of Incarcerated Women in Texas,” 3 Scholar 193 (2002)
- Panelist, “Ethical Issues Facing In-House Counsel,” UT Law CLE’s 8th Annual Government Enforcement Institute (2022)
- Speaker at the Lawtina Network Summit at the St. Mary’s University School of Law (2022)
- Guest, “Price Gouging Issues in the Era of COVID-19,” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (2020)
- Panelist, “Gun Safety and Mass Violence,” 2019 Interim Legislative Charges: Select Committee on Mass Violence Prevention and Community Safety, Austin, TX (2019)
- Moderator, Bexar County Women’s Bar Association Luncheon, The Intersection of Criminal and Civil Law with Jay Dewald and FBI Agent Charles Arnold (2018)
- Moderator, Hispanic National Bar Association Dallas Latina Leadership Program (2018)
- Guest Lecturer for The Honorable Xavier Rodriguez, U.S. District Court Judge, St. Mary’s Law Discovery Course (2016, 2017)
- Panelist, Hispanic National Bar Association Dallas Latina Leadership Program, SMU Dedman School of Law (2016)
- Panelist, The University of Texas at San Antonio, School of Government Women in the Law Lecture Series (2016)
- Panelist, San Antonio Young Lawyer’s Association, Practitioner’s Conference (2015, 2016)
- Bexar County Women’s Bar Annual Retreat, Notes from the Federal Trenches (2016)
- Panelist, The National Association of Women Judges Color of Justice Program, Texas A&M University at San Antonio (2016)
In the News
- “In FBI probe, Texas AG faces aggressive, ethical prosecutor,” Associated Press News (December 19, 2020)
- U.S. District Court Admissions Committee, Member, 2018-Present
- Appointed by The Honorable Fred Biery, 2018
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Member, 2018-Present
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Member, 2015-Present
- Compliance and Ethics Section, 2018 – Present
- Mexican American Bar Association – San Antonio Chapter, Member, 2015-Present
- Board Member, 2017
- American Bar Association, Member, 2016-Present
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association – Houston Chapter, Member
- San Antonio Bar Association, Member, 2012-Present
- Federal Courts Committee, 2015-Present
- Federal Bar Association – San Antonio Chapter, Member, 2012-Present
- National District Attorney’s Association Border Prosecutions Course Planning Committee, Advisor, 2012
- State Bar of Texas, Diversity in the Profession Committee, Member, 2010-2013
- Del Rio Association of Federal Lawyers, Member, 2010-2012
- Instructor, Overseas Prosecutorial Development and Training Merida Initiative
- Chiapas, Mexico, 2010
- Cancun, Mexico, 2011
- Federal Bar Association, Member, 2007-Present
- Texas State University Development Foundation Leadership Council, 2020
- Meals on Wheels of San Antonio, Secretary for the Executive Board, 2020-Present
- National Charity League, San Antonio Rose Chapter, 2020-Present
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
October 24, 2022Speaking Engagements
Erica Benites Giese will present on white collar crime during the Greater San Antonio Ethics & Compliance Roundtable Fall Symposium held at the St. Mary’s University Greehey School of Business on October 27, 2022.
October 7, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates 36 Attorneys Named Among the Lawdragon 500 Leading Litigators in America
Jackson Walker announces the selection of 36 attorneys to Lawdragon’s inaugural list of the 500 leading litigators in America.
September 22, 2022Insights
DOJ Officials Announce New Priorities to Combat Corporate Crime with Additional Details Provided at Government Enforcement Conference in Dallas
By Jennifer Freel, Erica Giese, and Bethany R. Pickett
On September 15, 2022, Deputy Attorney General Lisa A. Monaco outlined new steps the Department of Justice will be taking in its ongoing efforts to police corporate crime. The next day, Assistant Attorney General Kenneth Polite and Deputy Assistant Attorney General Lisa Miller discussed the new policy at the University of Texas School of Law’s Government Enforcement Institute—a two-day conference held in Dallas, Texas. This article covers key areas Department of Justice officials will focus their efforts in the coming months.
September 15, 2022Speaking Engagements
Erica Benites Giese to Discuss Ethical Issues Facing In-House Counsel at UT Law CLE’s Government Enforcement Institute
During the 8th Annual Government Enforcement Institute on Friday, September 16, 2022, Jackson Walker partner Erica Benites Giese will join a panel, entitled “Ethical Issues Facing In-House Counsel.” The panel will be moderated by Matthew G. Nielsen (Bracewell LLP) and include panelists Brent Basden (Koning Rubarts LLP) and Michael Jackman (Hudson Advisors L.P.).
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
July 29, 2022Speaking Engagements
Erica Benites Giese is scheduled to present at the Lawtina Network Summit at the St. Mary’s University School of Law on August 5-6, 2022. The Lawtina Network Summit will gather pre-law and Latina lawyers as they participate in information sessions, relationship-building activities, and networking opportunities.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 14, 2022Attorney News
‘Scene in S.A.’ Recognizes 13 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among “San Antonio’s Outstanding Women in Law”
Jackson Walker proudly congratulates the 13 women attorneys who have been named to Scene in S.A.’s survey of the “Outstanding Women in Law” for 2022.