Harris J. Huguenard is a trial lawyer with experience in the areas of construction, real estate, energy, and intellectual property.
A seventh-generation Texan, Harris was born and raised in Houston. Harris is an Eagle Scout. He attended Middlebury College where he was a member of the Middlebury College football team and served on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee. While in college, he interned for the Department of Homeland Security’s Counter-Terrorism Division in Washington D.C. After graduating, Harris returned to Texas to attend Baylor Law School, where he was active in Baylor’s advocacy programs and served as the Articles Editor for the Baylor Law Review.
B.A., Middlebury College
J.D., cum laude, Baylor Law School
- The Order of Barristers
- Articles Editor, Baylor Law Review
- Baylor Mock Trial Team
- Baylor Moot Court Team
Examples of Harris’ representative experience are outlined below.
- Obtained permanent injunction preventing third parties from entering and selling client landowner’s property.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of lessee where lessee was accused of violating the rent renewal provisions in the lease.
- Drafted and argued summary judgment on behalf of telecommunications company accused of trespassing property owner’s property when it installed fiber optic cables in easement on the owner’s property. Summary judgment granted, in part, based on the theory of estoppel by deed.
- Obtained favorable settlement for developer in dispute involving earnest money deposit.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous construction contracts on behalf of owners and contractors.
- Favorably resolved a case for a developer in dispute over the construction of a multi-family residential property.
- As contractor’s counsel, obtained favorable settlement of claim arising out of client’s residential remediation efforts.
- Assisted owners with close out of projects, including the resolution of final payment and dismissal of liens filed by subcontractors.
- Obtained favorable settlement for owner whose commercial property was discovered to contain substantial mold.
- Filed and defended lien claims.
Oil & Gas
- First chaired two-day bench trial involving claims made against client pipe manufacturer for breach of express warranty and breach of implied warranty of merchantability. Harris presented the opening statement, cross examined the plaintiff’s key fact witness, directed the client’s expert witness, and gave the closing argument. At the conclusion of the trial, the Court issued a judgment in favor of client, dismissing the plaintiff’s claims.
- Defended companies accused of fraud in connection with the sale of assets.
- Obtained summary judgment awarding client all of its attorneys’ fees incurred in defending lawsuit pursuant to an indemnity provision contained in a Master Services Agreement.
- Obtained complete defense jury verdict in what started as a $228 million five-patent infringement case against defendant TV streaming provider. After a four-day trial, the jury returned a verdict of no infringement on the two patents-in-suit, invalidated the sole asserted claim in one of those patents, and awarded no damages.
First Amendment/Media Rights
- Drafted and argued two motions to quash subpoenas issued to California based media company in Los Angeles County, California Court. In both instances, the Courts quashed the respective subpoenas, in part, on the basis that the First Amendment protected the media company from disclosure of materials.
Personal Injury Defense
- Represented pipe manufacturer and obtained favorable dismissal in products liability suit.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against Defendant product manufacturer claiming product defect.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer client accused of violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for employee accused of breaching non-competition agreement.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit where client was accused of workplace harassment.
- Co-Author, “Texas Adapts Rules for Service of Lawsuits to the New Reality of How We Communicate,” Jackson Walker Insights (August 2020)
- Eagle Scout Association Executive Committee- Sam Houston Area Council
- Sam Houston Area Council Advisory Board Member
- American Bar Association
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers
- Houston Bar Association