Joan S. Sostek
Joan Sprince Sostek has practiced law at Jackson Walker since 1982 in the areas of real estate and commercial lending. Spanning over thirty years, the scope of Joan’s legal experience has covered a myriad of property types and transaction structures during varied market conditions, providing her a strong foundation for almost any type of transaction in these areas.
A primary focus of Joan’s is representing financial institutions and other lenders in a broad range of real estate and commercial lending transactions, including real estate acquisition and construction financing and permanent refinancing, asset-based lending, corporate finance, public bond financing, note purchase and sale transactions, asset pool financings, small business loan programs, and loan restructures, foreclosures and settlements.
In particular, Joan’s experience has included multi-state acquisition loans, interim construction and renovation loans for office buildings, shopping centers, industrial properties and multi-family residential projects, permanent financing of commercial and retail properties, government bond financing of commercial and multi-family projects, purchases and sales of performing and non-performing loan portfolios, securitization transactions, restructures and reorganizations of significant multi-tiered syndicated loan facilities, loan participations and syndications, equity participations, inter-creditor and subordination agreements, letters of credit, and documentation of collateral interests in a broad array of asset types – from inventory and accounts, to equity interests, to mobile homes and vehicles, to biofuels, to ranch and cattle interests, to healthcare receivables, to deposit accounts, to mortgage warehouse loans, to documents of title and chattel paper.
Having practiced during periods of major economic downturn, Joan has a keen understanding of workouts, restructures, and foreclosures (including deed-in-lieu) of real and personal property. Strong lender representation experience has given Joan a uniquely valuable skillset for representing borrowers and issuers in most any type of commercial or corporate finance arrangement.
B.S., summa cum laude, Florida State University
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
- Senior Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Real Property Section
- Bankruptcy Section
- Commercial Law Section
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- CREW Dallas
- CREW Network
- Texas Regional CREW Conference, Co-Chair
- Women’s Finance Exchange (WFE)
- Attorneys Serving the Community (ASC)
- Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce ‘s Annual Women’s Business Conference
- Past Co-Chair
- Founding Member – Planning Committee
- Dallas iMedia Network (formerly Dallas Public Television), Past Member – Board of Directors
- University of Virginia Law School Foundation, Supporter
- University of Virginia Law School Class of 1982, Class Manager, 2006-Present
- Greenhill School – Service Award of the Parents Association, 2014
- University of Texas at Austin Parents Advisory Board