John B. Beckworth
John Beckworth joined Jackson Walker in September 2018 as Of Counsel, where he brings his extensive experience to the energy, litigation, and arbitration practices.
John has practiced law in Texas for over 30 years. In 2001, he co-founded Watt Beckworth in Houston, Texas. He is a recognized litigator, trial lawyer, and arbitrator, and his experience includes serving as lead counsel in multiple civil trials and appeals. He has tried civil cases to conclusion as lead counsel in and outside of Texas and he has briefed and argued appeals in Texas courts of appeals, the Texas Supreme Court, and the Fifth and Ninth Circuits of the United States Courts of Appeals.
During his career, John has handled cases involving a range of substantive areas, including commercial, energy, and personal injury litigation, arbitration, media law, insurance, and representation of public entities. Most recently, his law practice has focused on domestic and international oil and gas transactions and litigation, and he currently serves as an arbitrator in civil and energy related cases.
In 2013, John left his practice in Houston to join the leadership of The University of Texas School of Law. He served in the Law School as Associate Dean for Administration and Strategic Planning and as a Lecturer from 2013-2018. In September 2018, John stepped down from his administrative duties as Associate Dean to join Jackson Walker as “Of Counsel.” He continues today in the Law School as a Lecturer and assists on special projects, and he remains engaged in a number of business and civic endeavors in Austin and throughout Texas.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
United States District Court for the District of Arizona
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Ninth Circuits
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Oil, Gas, and Mineral Law
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2003-2021
- Commercial Litigation
- Litigation – First Amendment
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Lawyer of the Year – Austin, Litigation – First Amendment, 2018
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2015
- Business Litigation
- Energy Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Top 100: Houston Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2006, 2009-2013
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Associate Member
- Federal Judicial Evaluation Committee, Member
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Board Leadership Fellow