Matthew J. Swantner
Matthew J. Swantner focuses his practice on litigation, including contract disputes, business torts, personal injury and products liability, oil and gas matters, creditor’s rights, mineral and construction liens, and insurance disputes throughout Texas and New Mexico.
Working with clients in diverse industry sectors, Matt demonstrates a keen ability to apprehend both the legal issues and the underlying business principles in a given case. As one client, John Patton, General Counsel of Pronto Insurance, expressed: “Matthew Swantner, a Jackson Walker rising star among stars, consistently demonstrates expertise and quick recognition of even the most subtle nuances far beyond his actual years as a practicing business litigator.” Mr. Patton added, “For over three years now, Matt has been a mainstay of my ‘go-to’ attorneys, the select few I look to when it matters most. Matt’s value lies not only in his litigation prowess, but also extends to his ability to recognize and assess the business side of matters in providing wise counsel to the decision-making process.”
Matt also has extensive experience in finding efficient and economical solutions to e-Discovery problems and is a co-author of Essentials of E-Discovery, State Bar of Texas, 2014.
Matt has been recognized by the San Antonio Business Journal as one of San Antonio’s “40 Under 40,” which honors young professionals who are making a difference in their fields and community. He also recently participated in Class 39 of Leadership San Antonio as well as the North San Antonio Chamber’s Leadership Lab Class of 2012. Matt also volunteers on the Board of Directors for ProjectMEND, which is a San Antonio charity that provides medical equipment to those in need.
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
New Mexico, 2011
United States District Court for the Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Represents large group of oil & gas service companies located in Eagle Ford Shale in connection with numerous lawsuits, mineral liens filings, and contract disputes.
- Has defended dozens of businesses, churches, and other entities in personal injury and property damage cases throughout Texas.
- Defended numerous banks and other financial institutions in account disputes involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Defended bank in breach of contract and fraud action brought by borrower to prevent foreclosure of large commercial property. Obtained summary judgment in favor of bank on all borrower’s claims, foreclosed on property, obtained deficiency judgment against borrower, and garnished accounts identified in post-judgment discovery.
- Represented agricultural chemical company in more than 40 collection lawsuits throughout Texas and New Mexico. Lawsuits typically resulted in summary judgment or settlement and the entry of an agreed judgment.
- Represented joint operator in lawsuit brought by landowners to terminate mineral lease. Lawsuit resulted in favorable renegotiation of lease.
- Represented well servicer in multiple lawsuits to collect reimbursement of amounts owed for goods and services provided.
- Represented numerous property owners in lawsuits brought to terminate mineral leases for non-production, lack of operations, or breach of mineral leases.
- Represented owner in lawsuit against general contractor to recover overpayment of construction costs. Lawsuit resulted in favorable settlement and entry of agreed judgment that provided for recovery of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented numerous healthcare providers in lawsuits brought to recover reimbursement for services provided to patients.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Commercial Litigation, 2022
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2021
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2017-2020
- General Litigation
- Business Litigation
- 40 Under 40, San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2014
- Leadership San Antonio, Class 39
- North Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio, Leadership Lab Class, 2012
- Bexar County Community Justice Program
- Project Mend, Board of Directors