Matthew J. Swantner
Matthew J. Swantner focuses his practice on litigation, including contract disputes, business torts, personal injury, oil and gas matters, creditor’s rights, mineral and construction liens, and insurance disputes throughout Texas and New Mexico.
Working with clients in diverse industry sectors, Matt demonstrates a keen ability to apprehend both the legal issues and the underlying business principles in a given case. As one client, John Patton, General Counsel of Pronto Insurance, expressed: “Matthew Swantner, a Jackson Walker rising star among stars, consistently demonstrates expertise and quick recognition of even the most subtle nuances far beyond his actual years as a practicing business litigator.” Mr. Patton added, “For over three years now, Matt has been a mainstay of my ‘go-to’ attorneys, the select few I look to when it matters most. Matt’s value lies not only in his litigation prowess, but also extends to his ability to recognize and assess the business side of matters in providing wise counsel to the decision-making process.”
Matt also has extensive experience in finding efficient and economical solutions to e-Discovery problems and is a co-author of Essentials of E-Discovery, State Bar of Texas, 2014.
Matt has been recognized by Thomson Reuters as a “Texas Rising Star,” by Woodward White, Inc. as one of “The Best Lawyers in America,” by the San Antonio Business Journal as one of San Antonio’s “40 Under 40,” which honors young professionals who are making a difference in their fields and community. He also participated in Class 39 of Leadership San Antonio as well as the North San Antonio Chamber’s Leadership Lab Class of 2012.
B.B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
United States District Court for the Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Successfully defended a Fortune 10 company in several private arbitrations filed by injured workers.
- Won an appeal in favor of CPS Energy which resulted in dismissal of personal injury lawsuit based on the Texas Tort Claims Act as set forth in City of San Antonio v. Smith, 562 S.W.3d 75 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2018, pet. Denied).
- Obtained significant arbitration award in a complex construction dispute which included an award of actual damages, attorneys’ fees and dismissal of all counterclaims.
- Represents large group of oil & gas service companies located in Eagle Ford Shale in connection with numerous lawsuits, mineral liens filings, and contract disputes.
- Has defended dozens of businesses, churches, utilities and other entities in catastrophic personal injury and property damage cases throughout Texas.
- Represents high net worth clients in probate, fiduciary, and complex estate disputes.
- Defended numerous banks and other financial institutions in account disputes involving claims of breach of contract, fraud, violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Won summary judgment and subsequent appeal in personal injury lawsuit brought against Boerne Church of Christ as set forth in Irving v. Church of Christ Boerne, 2016 Tex. App. LEXIS 3782 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2016).
- Defended bank in breach of contract and fraud action brought by borrower to prevent foreclosure of large commercial property. Obtained summary judgment in favor of bank on all borrower’s claims, foreclosed on property, obtained deficiency judgment against borrower, and garnished accounts identified in post-judgment discovery.
- Represented agricultural chemical company in more than 40 collection lawsuits throughout Texas and New Mexico. Lawsuits typically resulted in summary judgment or settlement and the entry of an agreed judgment.
- Represented joint operator in lawsuit brought by landowners to terminate mineral lease. Lawsuit resulted in favorable renegotiation of lease.
- Represented well servicer in multiple lawsuits to collect reimbursement of amounts owed for goods and services provided.
- Represented numerous property owners in lawsuits brought to terminate mineral leases for non-production, lack of operations, or breach of mineral leases.
- Represented owner in lawsuit against general contractor to recover overpayment of construction costs. Lawsuit resulted in favorable settlement and entry of agreed judgment that provided for recovery of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented numerous healthcare providers in lawsuits brought to recover reimbursement for services provided to patients.
- Won jury trial and subsequent appeal while representing bank in foreclosure of ranch property as set forth in Siller v. LPP Mortgage, 2013 Tex. App. LEXIS 4520 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2013).
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2022-2024
- Commercial Litigation, 2022-2024
- Litigation – Insurance, 2023-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2021-2023
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2017-2023
- General Litigation
- Business Litigation
- 40 Under 40, San Antonio Business Journal, 2015
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2014
- San Antonio Chamber of Commerce – Leadership San Antonio, Class 39
- North Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio, Leadership Lab Class, 2012
- Bexar County Community Justice Program
- Project Mend, Board of Directors, 2012-2019
September 18, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 44 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2023 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list. In its 19th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
March 23, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 63 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2023 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
July 14, 2021Attorney News
In its 17th year, the “Best S.A. Lawyers” list presents attorneys across 80 distinct practice areas who were nominated by fellow licensed, practicing attorneys of Bexar County. The survey takes the voters for each attorney into account, including where the voter works, their practice area, and how many years they have practiced.
June 11, 2021Mentions
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas Inc. and other defendants facing lawsuits over loss of power and water services during February’s deadly winter storm can consolidate 157 related cases in a multidistrict litigation pretrial court, a state panel has ruled. The Texas Supreme Court’s Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation granted a request on Thursday to address the cases together after the defendants asked that they be grouped given the similar circumstances of the lawsuits that sprung up after Winter Storm Uri caused outages across the state.
April 20, 2021Mentions
Texas electricity companies facing lawsuits related to the deadly and destructive February winter storm have joined the state’s primary grid operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas Inc., in requesting multidistrict litigation in what is now a total of 90 cases.