Animal and Veterinary Health
Jackson Walker is uniquely positioned to support animal and veterinary health businesses of all sizes both in Texas and nationwide. The team has extensive experience supporting regulatory, compliance, operational issues and general corporate matters across animal and veterinary health products and services, especially at the intersection of digital health and veterinary care.
Jackson Walker’s animal and veterinary health group advises veterinary telehealth platforms, pet pharmacies, and veterinary businesses on a variety of regulatory and transactional matters, including telehealth operations expansion, state-specific telemedicine and teletriage regulations, corporate practice and professional entity affiliations, and veterinarian-client-patient relationship and prescribing laws. Our attorneys also assist clients of all sizes – including start-ups, large corporations, individual veterinarians, and larger veterinary practices – with contract review and drafting, advice on entity formation issues, and guidance on fraud and abuse risks.
Our attorneys also support clients with matters relating to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) regulation of animal and veterinary products. The team has experience counseling manufacturers, pharmacies, distributors, retailers, and veterinary practitioners on FDA regulation of animal drugs (including animal drug compounding), animal devices, and animal food (including pet food). Our attorneys support compliance operations for product development and approval, marketing and promotion, entity registration, current good manufacturing practice, inspections, and responding to enforcement actions.
- Acted as outside general counsel to veterinary practices by advising on corporate formation, partnership issues, leases, financing, contract review, regulatory concerns, and all other matters involved in setting up and maintaining a private veterinary practice
- Counseled veterinary telehealth platform on multi-state expansion, telemedicine, and regulatory compliance
- Counseled veterinary triage platform on veterinary practice compliance matters
- Counseled veterinary pharmacy on expansion, mail-order compliance, and veterinary partnership matters
- Assisted veterinary practice and veterinarians with state licensing and veterinary board investigations
- Counseled veterinary pharmacy on anti-kickback and other fraud and abuse matters
- Counseled warehousing and fulfillment company on animal food compliance matters
- Counseled veterinary telemedicine company on FDA compliance matters relating to extra-label drug use in animals
- Counseled warehousing and fulfillment company on animal drug compliance matters
- Counseled veterinary pharmacy company on FDA compliance matters relating to animal drug compounding
- Counseled veterinary pharmacy company on marketing compliance matters
- Counseled veterinary pharmacy company on prescribing and operations matters
- Compliance with federal and state laws affecting the practice of telemedicine
- Advising on corporate structure
- State licensing and professional disciplinary matters
- Drafting and negotiating contracts with veterinarians, pharmacy partners, and other vendors
- Developing FDA compliance programs
- Preparing for FDA inspections
- Responding to FDA enforcement actions