Sara K. Harris
Sara advises clients on a wide variety regulatory compliance matters, focusing in particular on employment matters that arise in the healthcare industry. Sara also regularly defends companies in discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuits, government investigations, and healthcare litigation. In her advisory role, Sara counsels clients on employee policies, covenants not to compete, collective bargaining issues, and other matters affecting the employer-employee relationship.
Sara’s healthcare practice focuses on healthcare regulatory issues, with an emphasis on digital health, including telemedicine and telehealth, as well as practitioner licensing and scope of practice matters. Clients seek her advice on cross-border entity and licensing compliance, state and federal telemedicine and prescribing laws, patient consent, corporate practice, and physician non-compete buyouts.
Sara also frequently represents physicians, nurses, and other healthcare licensees before their respective healthcare licensing boards.
Sara’s clients benefit from her multi-disciplinary experience as an employment lawyer, litigator, and healthcare attorney, and they appreciate her ability to generate pragmatic but creative solutions to problems. Her clients include hospital systems, healthcare companies, tech start-ups, physicians and other healthcare providers, financial institutions, and insurance companies.
B.A., summa cum laude, New York University
- Phi Beta Kappa
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
- Order of the Coif
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of Texas
Employment Litigation & Administrative Agency Defense
Sara has experience defending companies and executives in employment-related disputes involving:
- Harassment & Discrimination
- Healthcare whistleblower claims
- Compensation/stock option disputes
- Breach of employment contract/wrongful termination
- Labor union grievance arbitration
Sara also defends employers and healthcare practitioners before administrative agencies, including in licensure and disciplinary matters before the state medical and nursing boards, the EEOC, the DOL, and the NLRB.
Healthcare & Employment Counseling
Sara advises employers on day-to-day employment matters. For example, Sara helps employers draft and update employment contracts, policies, handbooks, and non-compete agreements, all with an eye towards avoiding future litigation.
Sara also advises healthcare providers including start-up companies, physicians, pharmacies, surgery centers, hospitals, and other practitioners regarding regulatory compliance and practice issues. Her experience includes:
- Telemedicine and digital health
- Laboratory compliance/CLIA
- Stark/Anti-Kickback, FCA matters
- Physician employment and licensure
- Mid-Level licensing and scope of practice
- Corporate Practice of Medicine
Sara’s business litigation experience includes matters such as defamation lawsuits, class actions involving alleged underpayment of policy benefits by insurers, and prosecuting trade secret misappropriation, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference claims.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.), Labor and Employment Law – Management, 2022-2024
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2022
- American Health Lawyer Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Employment Law Section
- Health Law Section
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court
- Associate, 2016 – 2017
- The American Lawyer
- Young Lawyer Editorial Board Member, 2017 – Present
- National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
- Board Member, 2020 – Present
- Secretary, 2021 – Present
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
April 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
February 13, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 16 attorneys to the firm’s partnership, marking our largest number of partnership promotions to date.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 27, 2022Client Results
Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022, taking place after its successful acquisitions of FMi Chemical, Hohman Plating, Advanced Coating, Hydro Fitting, and GK Mechanical Systems.
August 18, 2022Newsletters
View the August 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 30, 2022Newsletters
View the April 2022 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
March 22, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 51 attorneys to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Super Lawyers – Rising Stars” list, which recognizes only 2.5% of Texas attorneys who either are 40 years of age or younger or have been in practice for 10 years or less.
- “The New Abnormal: How Firms and Lawyers Can Adapt to the Pandemic-Altered Present,” The American Lawyer (September 2020)
- “As Clients Demand More Than Ever, How Can Lawyers and Firms Respond?,” The American Lawyer (January 2020)
- “Cutting-Edge Practice Areas Are a Worthy Challenge for Young Lawyers,” The American Lawyer (October 2019)
- “Law Firms Benefit by Showing Attorneys That Family Matters,” The American Lawyer (August 2018)
- “Can Employers Require COVID-19 Vaccinations?” Jackson Walker Fast Takes Podcast (January 2021)
- “Text, Context, and SCOTUS’ Textualism in Bostock,” The Geek in Review Podcast Ep. 79 (June 2020)
- “The Innovative Concept of Legal Writing in Plain English,” The Geek in Review Podcast Ep. 68 (February 2020)