Brittani Wilmore Rollen
Brittani Wilmore Rollen is an attorney in the Trial & Appellate Litigation section of Jackson Walker’s Fort Worth office.
Brittani represents midstream energy clients and other condemning authorities in litigation, including condemnation proceedings and trials. She also provides support regarding general business litigation involving real estate, financial institutions, and employment.
Deeply passionate about parenting children with special needs, Brittani and her husband developed a speech aid for their nonverbal son, named The Tiny Talker, and co-wrote a book to help other families learn how to use the alternative speaking device.
B.B.A., magna cum laude, Texas A&M University
- Mays Business Fellows Program
J.D., Baylor Law School
- Harvey T. Richey Moot Court Society, President
- Order of the Barristers
- Leon Jaworksi Scholarship Recipient
- Dean’s Academic Achievement Scholarship Recipient
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Fifth Circuits
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Represented a railroad in successful appeal of a jury verdict imposing an easement on the railroad’s property.
- Represented a university in a mandamus proceeding requesting that the trial court’s discovery order be limited. The Court of Appeals for the Second District of Texas granted the petition for writ of mandamus, holding that the trial court abused its discretion in ordering the university to produce discovery regarding discrimination complaints organization-wide because the discrimination claim at issue was an individual claim.
- Successfully represented a railroad against a former employee’s claim that his discharge violated the Federal Railroad Safety Act.
- Represented a university in a dispute brought by a student-athlete who was injured during a game. After the trial court denied a plea in abatement based on dominant jurisdiction of earlier-filed case in Tarrant County, obtained mandamus relief, ordering trial court to grant plea in abatement and defer to jurisdiction of Tarrant County case.
- Represented a terminated employee in his discrimination claim against his former employer. The district court ordered the parties to arbitrate pursuant to an arbitration provision in the employee handbook. The employee appealed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Fifth Circuit held the arbitration provision was illusory and unenforceable.
- Drafted brief of amici in support of university’s petition for review in Texas Supreme Court case involving whether university’s campus police officer has a right of interlocutory appeal from the denial of his motion for summary judgment based on immunity.
- Represented a national brick manufacturer in a case against the appraisal district. Drafted motion for summary judgment establishing that manufacturer was entitled to the pollution control exemption on its plant for tax years 2004-2007. Motion was granted, and appraisal district appealed. Drafted appellate briefing, and case was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a regional blood bank in a suit brought by a former employee for state law claims of sexual harassment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully defended a university against premises liability suit brought by a tailgate party attendee who was injured in a fight. The trial court granted a no-evidence motion for summary judgment, and the Court of Appeals for the Second District of Texas affirmed.
- Successfully defended a university, its Chancellor, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, and law firm in a suit filed against it by a former ROTC instructor.
- Represented a property owners association in defense of a case filed against it by certain property owners who sought to enjoin the POA from enforcing restrictive covenants. Trial court granted summary judgment for POA. Drafted appellate briefing for POA, and case was affirmed on appeal.
- Successfully represented a car dealer against an automotive manufacturer for the manufacturer’s breach of contract at trial and on appeal.
- Won summary judgment for employer blood bank in suit by former employee for state law claims of age discrimination, false imprisonment, breach of contract, and defamation. Affirmed by Court of Appeals for the Second District of Texas.
- Won summary judgment for employer public hospital district in suit by former employee under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2019-2022
- Top Women Attorneys in Texas, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Texas Rising Star, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2018
- “Top Attorneys” List for Appellate Practice and Commercial Litigation, Fort Worth Magazine, 2009-2014, 2016-2022
- “Top Attorneys” List for Appellate Law, 360 West Magazine, 2017, 2019-2022
- Rated AV Preeminent and Distinguished, Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Tribute to Women in Business Honoree, YWCA, 2009
- Author, “Q&A with Justice David F. Farris,” Tarrant County Bar Journal (November 2017)
- Co-Author, “Brief Writing: Make Yourself Useful as Well as Ornamental,” The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report, Vol. 76 (Fall 2016); Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Reporter, Vol. 55, No. 2 (February 2017); Texas Bar College Bulletin (Summer 2017)
- Guest, “Episode 131: Brittani Rollen: Author of “Lucas the Lion Loves the Tiny Talker,” Talking With Tech podcast (May 2020)
- Guest, “Monday Mentors with Fort Worth Appellate Lawyer Brittani Rollen,” Lone Star Lawyers podcast by Varsity Search (July 2020)
In the News
- “Here & Now: The Tiny Talker,” FOX 4 Dallas-Fort Worth (July 2022)
- State Bar of Texas, Appellate and Women’s Sections, Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Appellate Section, Executive Committee, 2011-Present
- Women’s Section, Member
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Director, 2019-Present
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Director
- Fort Worth Leading Edge (Leadership Fort Worth), 2011
- Joubert Syndrome and Related Disorders Foundation, Director, 2017-Present
April 24, 2023Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2023
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
February 1, 2023Attorney News
‘Fort Worth Magazine’ Lists 16 Jackson Walker Attorneys Among the “Top Attorneys” of 2022
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of 16 Fort Worth-based attorneys to Fort Worth Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” list for 2022.
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 21, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 64 “Texas Super Lawyers” of 2022
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
August 4, 2022Mentions
Brittani Rollen Shares Story Behind The Tiny Talker Device on FOX 4 Dallas-Fort Worth
Brittani Rollen was joined by her husband, Ryan, and their son, Lucas, to speak with Shaun Rabb from FOX 4 Dallas-Fort Worth about the story behind The Tiny Talker, a simple, low-cost push button speech tablet designed to help nonverbal children communicate their needs.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – August 2022
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
July 25, 2022Attorney News
‘360 West Magazine’ Names Seven Jackson Walker Attorneys Among Fort Worth’s “Top Attorneys” of 2022
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the selection of seven Fort Worth-based attorneys to 360 West Magazine’s “Top Attorneys” list for 2022. To be selected for inclusion, attorneys with an active license and who practice within the Tarrant County area can nominate up to three attorneys in 42 specialty areas who reflect relevant practice areas in the region.
May 4, 2022Attorney News
Brittani Rollen Expands Litigation Group in Jackson Walker’s Fort Worth Office
Jackson Walker is pleased to welcome Brittani Wilmore Rollen as a senior counsel in the Fort Worth office. Joining the Trial & Appellate Litigation practice, Brittani brings a broad range of experience as an appellate and briefing attorney.