Edgar C. Morrison
Edgar “Jed” C. Morrison, Jr., has practiced healthcare law for 35 years. He served as Republican counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee and, later, counsel to the Healthcare Financing Administration in Washington, D.C., before returning to Texas. Jed joined Jackson Walker as one of the founding members of its Healthcare Law section in 1994. He focuses his practice on the regulatory and transactional aspects of healthcare law.
Jed exclusively represents healthcare providers and other industry participants. His primary focus is helping his clients plan and structure their business operations to maximize their competitive effectiveness, while remaining aware of and compliant with vast state and federal healthcare laws and regulations.
B.A., University of Oklahoma
J.D., University of Oklahoma College of Law
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal, Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Overturned Medicare suspension for large specialty medical group with no loss of revenues.
Converted 300+ member medical group to alternative corporate structure, resulting in favorable partnership tax treatment, and preservation of all contracts and Medicare number.
Formed accountable care organization and affiliated physician network for non-profit hospital.
Served as Special Outside Counsel to Texas Attorney General for managed care matters.
5th Circuit victory in Medicare
Managed care jurisdictional case of “first impression”, representing renal provider seeking prompt payment from managed care company.
DC Circuit Victory in Medicare Reimbursement
Successfully briefed and argued Medicare reimbursement appeal on behalf of 275 hospitals, overturning application of Medicare regulation that restricted the hospitals’ rights to appeal years of Medicare reimbursement.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2006-2019
- Ranked for Healthcare in Texas
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Lawyer of the Year – Healthcare, 2015, 2018
- Healthcare Law, 2007-2020
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2007-2016, 2018-2019
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2010–2019
- Outstanding Lawyers Award – Health Care Law, San Antonio Business Journal, 2010
- Texas State Bar Health Law Council, Past Member
- Health Law Council, Past Chair
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Past Member Exam Commission – Health Law
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- UT Health Law Conference Planning Committee 2012-2017
- Stark and Anti-kickback laws
- Medicare/Medicaid Reimbursement and compliance
- Corporate and partnership planning and structuring
- Healthcare licensing for individuals and entities
- Corporate practice of medicine restrictions