Erik S. Romberg
Erik S. Romberg is an attorney in Jackson Walker’s Austin office with a practice focused on investor representation in hedge fund and private equity fund investments, and corporate and securities matters including mergers and acquisitions; private equity and debt offerings, including venture capital, seed and angel stage financings; and public offerings. His experience includes representation of both acquirers and targets in a variety of business combination transactions, as well as issuers, underwriters, and venture capital firms in public and private securities offerings. Erik’s experience also includes advising companies and boards of directors with respect to corporate governance and fiduciary duties as well as serving as outside general counsel to many clients addressing matters such as technology licensing and employment-related issues.
In his investment funds practice, Erik advises institutional investors in connection with investments in hedge funds and private equity funds. In his corporate and securities practice, Erik has advised on a wide range of transactional and governance matters including the representation of targets and acquirers in merger and acquisition transactions, investor and company-side representations in venture capital, seed and angel stage financings, complex restructurings, reorganizations and down-round financings, company and underwriter representation in public offerings, and advising companies and boards with respect to corporate governance and complex fiduciary duty issues.
B.S., The University of Texas at Austin
J.D., with honors, The University of Texas at Austin School of Law
- Texas Law Review
Erik has vast experience in corporate and securities law, regularly handling matters such as:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a medical device regulatory consulting services company with over thirty operating subsidiaries in various worldwide jurisdictions in its acquisition by a global compliance and safety company
- Represented a warehouse execution provider in its acquisition by a global materials handling systems supplier
- Represented a provider of location-based service and analytics software in its acquisition by a leading supplier of GPS fleet tracking technologies
- Represented a hospital operator in its acquisition of an operator of Long Term Acute Care facilities in Texas and surrounding states
- Represented a biodiesel company in the acquisition of refining facilities, the arrangement of working capital and capital expenditure creditor facilities, and the private placement of equity securities to finance the acquisition
Venture Capital and Private Equity Transactions
- Represented numerous companies in multiple industries in venture capital financings through the issuance of various classes of preferred stock
- Represented private equity firms as investors in preferred securities of a provider of agile software management services and a spinal medical device implant manufacturer
- Represented numerous companies in multiple industries in debt financings, both secured and unsecured, convertible and non-convertible
- Represented companies and investors in multiple down-round and restructuring transactions that included the conversion of prior preferred equity classes to common stock, the alteration of the rights, preferences and privileges of prior preferred equity, and negotiation with secured and unsecured creditors and other stakeholders
- Represented a healthcare services company in its initial registered public offering
- Represented a cosmetic services company in the qualification of its offering under Regulation A
- Assisted multiple clients with filings required under the Securities Act of 1934, as amended
June 28, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Quantum Loophole in Strategic Joint Venture to Develop Gigawatt Scale Data Center Community
Jackson Walker advised Austin-based Quantum Loophole, Inc. in forming a strategic joint venture with TPG Real Estate Partners (TREP) to purchase an approximately 2,100-acre property in Frederick County, Maryland and develop a first-of-its-kind gigawatt scale data center community.
January 15, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises KEEPS Corporation on Equity Investment by SSM Partners
San Antonio partner Stephanie L. Chandler, who led the Jackson Walker team handling the transaction, said, “We were honored to advise KEEPS on this transaction, which will help them continue their expansion, accelerate their innovation, and invest in sales and marketing.”
December 1, 2020Attorney News
Jackson Walker Congratulates Newly Elected Fellows of Texas Bar Foundation
Jackson Walker is pleased to congratulate Shari Mao, Amanda Neinast, Kati Orso, Erik Romberg, Denise Rose, Jennifer Wertz, and Zachary Zurek on their election as fellows of the Texas Bar Foundation.
September 4, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises TimeClock Plus in Securing Majority Investment From Providence Equity Partners
TimeClock Plus provides best-in-class technology solutions that help more than 60,000 public and private sector businesses worldwide manage complex timekeeping, employee scheduling, leave management, and other workforce needs.
June 14, 2019Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Whataburger in Sale of Majority Interest to BDT Capital Partners
Jackson Walker advised iconic Texas fast-food chain Whataburger in the sale of a majority interest to BDT Capital Partners, LLC, a Chicago-based merchant bank that advises and invests in family and founder-led companies.