James Matthew Dow
…I’m going to make a long speech because I’ve not had time to prepare a short one.
Sir Winston Churchill
Matt Dow is a trial lawyer and the Managing Partner of the Austin office. In his over 30 years of practice, Matt has gained extensive experience representing clients in business disputes, agency administrative and litigation matters, and labor & employment matters at both the trial and appellate levels. With more than 35 cases tried, including over a dozen first chair jury trials, Matt delivers effective advocacy and value management to his clients.
B.A., Baylor University
J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- In 2018, represented a data center sued by a cryptocurrency hosting company seeking more than $30 million in damages. Jackson Walker, led by Matt, successfully defeated the plaintiff’s request for an injunction enjoining the collection of rent.
- In November 2017, concluded a six-year battle with the Texas Medical Board on behalf of Teladoc, an industry leader in telemedicine. During that time, Jackson Walker successfully prosecuted three different lawsuits, four injunction hearings, and one appeal; thereby allowing Teladoc to continue doing business in Texas.
- In 2015, successfully negotiated a redemption agreement on behalf of a closely held corporation and the remaining shareholders thereby avoiding a costly and lengthy lawsuit.
- In 2011, successfully represented a quasi-governmental entity in Texas facing constitutional challenges. Jackson Walker obtained a summary judgment disposing of all of the claims. In 2012, after the defendants appealed to the Austin Court of Appeals, Jackson Walker, led by Matt, obtained a successful outcome with the Court of Appeals affirming the trial court’s decision, Garza, et al. v. Texas Boll Weevil Eradication Found., Inc., 03-11-00787-CV, 2012 WL 6726685 (Tex. App.—Austin Dec. 19, 2012, no. pet.).
- In 2010, represented a nationwide home builder in a collective action FLSA case filed in federal court against the home builder. Plaintiffs claimed that the home builder violated the FLSA by failing to pay overtime. The matter was eventually settled.
- In 2010, represented a local start-up company in a trade secrets case brought by a competitor in federal court in California. The competitor sought $50 million in damages. Jackson Walker successfully transferred the case to Texas, defeated the competitor’s request for a preliminary injunction and defeated the competitor’s motion for summary judgment. The case was eventually resolved to the parties’ mutual satisfaction.
- In one of the first non-compete trials in Travis County, successfully represented employee at a two-week jury trial on the former employer’s claim for $10 million in damages for theft of trade secrets and unfair competition.
- Successfully represented large telecommunications company in a federal court jury trial in a race and age discrimination case.
- Successfully represented the owner of a commercial office building in a jury trial involving breach of contract and city code violations.
- Represented nationwide insurance company in MDL class action case under the FLSA.
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked for Litigation: General Commercial – Texas: Austin & Surrounds, 2021-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2012-2022
- Commercial Litigation, 2012-2022
- Health Care Law, 2021-2022
- Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2021-2022
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2006-2021
- Super Lawyers – Business Litigation, Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition, 2006-2009, 2012
- Austin Parks Foundation, Board Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association – Litigation and Employment Law Sections
- American Bar Association – Litigation and Employment Law Sections
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Bar Foundation, Fellow
June 1, 2022Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2022 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides.
September 22, 2021Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
September 3, 2021Newsletters
View the September 2021 edition of the Labor & Employment Dispatch.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
May 20, 2021Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2021 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 41 attorneys and 14 departments for inclusion in the 2021 edition of the Global and USA guides.
February 25, 2021Spotlight
‘Capitol Inside’ Recognizes Denise Rose and Jackson Walker’s Legislative Team in the 2021 “Texas Lobby Power Rankings”
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the legislative team’s inclusion in the 2021 “Texas Lobby Power Rankings” from Capitol Inside. In addition, Austin partner Denise Rose was elevated to the list of “Hired Guns,” ranking No. 56 among the top lobbyists in the state.
October 19, 2020Attorney News
Spanning five offices, 19 practice areas, and experience ranging from 12 to 52 years, Jackson Walker’s 2020 “Texas Super Lawyers” have been nominated by peers within and outside the Firm.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
June 18, 2020Insights
Austin Mayor Steve Adler issued an order on Wednesday, June 17, 2020 that mandates all Austin businesses must develop and implement a safety policy related to COVID-19.
December 9, 2019Attorney News
Jackson Walker Expands Finance and Electric Utility Practices With Addition of Lindsey Berwick and Kirk Rasmussen
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Lindsey Berwick and Kirk Rasmussen as partners in the San Antonio and Austin offices, respectively.