Jonathan G. Vinson
Jonathan focuses his practice on all areas of land use, including representation of a wide variety of developers, property owners, and corporate, non-profit and individual clients in zoning, planning, municipal law, and economic development incentives matters. His practice includes representation before city councils and planning and zoning commissions on zoning changes, special use permits, and planned development districts, including “form-based” zoning and mixed-use projects, and before boards of adjustment on variances and special exceptions as well as counseling clients with regard to land use entitlements and permitting issues, land use due diligence, and a very wide variety of other land use and municipal law issues.
Jonathan enjoys working on a wide variety of land use and municipal law issues. He especially enjoys the challenges and complexities of development and redevelopment projects in denser, more urban settings, especially mixed use and higher density multifamily projects, and he has worked on numerous projects in the Uptown and Oak Lawn areas, in particular. Jonathan has long been involved in zoning and land use matters, and served on the Dallas City Plan Commission from 1991 to 1995.
B.A., George Washington University
J.D., Columbia Law School
LL.M., University of Texas School of Law
New York, 1980
A notable previous highlight for Jonathan was winning approval of special zoning, including an almost 30 percent increase in height, for a landmark mixed use development on Klyde Warren Park in Dallas. The $300 million-plus project won the D CEO Best Real Estate Deal award in the mixed use category for that year.
Another recent accomplishment was obtaining zoning for a mixed use (multifamily over retail) project in Uptown Dallas, which notably included offices and a trolley barn for the McKinney Avenue Trolley.
Additional achievements include:
- Zoning for two mixed use (hotel/multifamily/retail/restaurant) developments in the West Village area
- Complex form-based rezoning for portion of Oak Cliff Gateway area
- Worked on numerous large industrial/logistics projects in various North Texas cities
- Won numerous contested Board of Adjustment cases
- North Texas Urban Land Institute
- North Texas Chapter, American Planning Association
- Greater Dallas Planning Council
- Congress for the New Urbanism
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
Jonathan handles a wide variety of entitlement matters and other land use law matters, including:
- Zoning changes
- Specific use permits
- Planned development districts, including “form-based” zoning and mixed-use projects
- Practice before Boards of Adjustment on variances and special exceptions
- Counseling clients with regard to land use entitlements and permitting issues
- Land use due diligence
- A very wide variety of other land use and municipal law issues