Tara A. Potts
Tara A. Potts concentrates her practice in the area of tax-exempt organizations. Whether an organization is navigating Texas tax laws or an IRS audit or appeal, Tara offers an experienced hand to help guide clients through any issues that may arise.
Her practice includes representation of:
- tax-exempt organizations on nonprofit corporate and tax-related issues under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, including: organization, qualification, combination, conversion, lobbying, political campaign activity, private inurement, excess benefit, and unrelated business income.
- private foundations on issues related to self-dealing, minimum distribution requirements, excess business holdings, jeopardizing investments, taxable expenditures, and foreign activities.
- supporting organizations, higher education institutions, religious organizations, governmental entities, social welfare organizations, trade associations, business leagues, title-holding companies, and social clubs on related issues.
- tax-exempt organizations in connection with IRS audits and appeals.
- nonprofit organizations regarding Texas state tax matters including, but not limited to, sales tax and property tax.
Tara frequently speaks on tax-exempt organization matters, including Form 990, the commerciality doctrine, and nonprofit governance. She is a Certified Public Accountant.
B.S., Miami University
J.D., Washington University School of Law
- Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law, Associate Editor
LL.M., New York University School of Law
- Panelist, “Charitable Organizations: Basics and Practical Considerations,” Austin Tax Study Group (February 2023)
- Panelist, “Legal and Accounting 101: Fundraising Events and Donations,” Art of the Gala (October 2019)
- Presenter, “Commerciality Doctrine: Flirting with UBIT,” Austin Chapter CPA Tax Conference (November 2018); TSCPA Nonprofit Organizations Conference (May 2018)
- Panelist, “A Round Table Conversation: Topics in Nonprofit Governance,” J.P. Morgan Private Bank (September 2018)
- Presenter, “Form 990: Key Compliance Points and Disclosure Considerations,” National Business Institute (June 2014)
- Presenter, “Handling Contributions and Tax Deductions,” National Business Institute (June 2014)
- Presenter, “Unrelated Business Taxable Income,” National Business Insitute (June 2014)
- Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants – Austin Chapter
- State Bar of Texas – Tax Section
- Partnership and Real Estate Tax Committee
- Tax Exempt Committee
- Austin Bar Association
- Corporate and Tax Section
- Animal Law Section, Outreach Committee Co-Chair (2013) and Secretary (2013-2015)
- Austin Tax Study Group, Past Treasurer, 2008-2012
- National Charity League – Hill Country Chapter
- Board of Directors, Parliamentarian, and President-Elect, 2022-2023
- Member, 2021-Present
- Austin Humane Society Capital Campaign Volunteer Corps Steering Committee, 2020-Present
- T&C Youth Sports Coach, 2014-2019
- Hand to Hold, Board of Directors, 2013-2018
- Finance Committee Chair, 2017-2018
- Development Committee Chair, 2015-2017
April 24, 2023Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – April 2023
View Jackson Walker’s April 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
February 9, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker Expands Trusts & Estates Group With Addition of Tara Potts
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the addition of Tara A. Potts as a partner in the Trusts & Estates practice. Joining from a small transactional law firm in Austin, Tara concentrates her practice in the area of tax-exempt organizations.