Thad H. Armstrong
Thad Armstrong is a board certified commercial real estate attorney who advises and represents buyers and sellers, developers, landlords and tenants, and sublandlords and subtenants in all facets of their real estate, development, construction, leasing and subleasing deals and projects. He also advises lenders and borrowers in foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure. Thad is a “help desk” to his clients, whether they have a question in need of an answer or a problem in need of a solution, he gives straightforward advice without legalese.
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
J.D., South Texas College of Law Houston
Commercial Real Estate Law
Thad has represented clients in connection with various types of transactions including:
Development and Construction
- Mixed Use: Thad represented the equity partner in a development joint venture. The mixed use project located in Houston will consist of high-end single family homes, Class A office space, and high-end retail.
- Hospital: Thad represented a major hospital system in the development of a new hospital campus, including the acquisition of the development site and the construction of a 470,000 square foot hospital and 135,000 square foot medical building.
- Multi-Family: Thad represented a national developer in its architectural and construction agreements for four Class A multi-family projects in Austin, Dallas, and Houston, Texas and Tempe, Arizona.
- Multi-Family: Thad represented the developer in the development of a ~300 unit multi-family project in Houston, including the acquisition of the development site and the formation of a joint venture partnership with an equity partner.
- Build-to-Suit Office: Thad represented the largest multi-specialty medical group practice in Houston in the development of a 170,000 square foot, four-story office building in Pearland, Texas, including the economic incentive agreements with governmental and quasi-governmental entities, the acquisition of the land, and the subsequent conveyance of the land to a REIT for the build-to-suit construction and leaseback.
- Hospital: Thad represented a major hospital system in its architectural, construction, and related agreements for the construction of a 390-bed inpatient tower in the Texas Medical Center.
- Industrial: Thad represented an international manufacturer of compressors and steam turbines in its construction, architectural, and related development agreements for the construction of a 100,000 square foot plant in Pearland, Texas, including economic incentive agreements with the city.
- Industrial: Thad represented a company in its build-to-suit construction agreement for a 190,000 square foot distribution center in Houston, Texas.
- Mixed-Use Hotel: Thad represented the developer in its architectural and construction agreements for the re-development of an existing building into a mixed-use office and hotel project.
- Tech: Thad represented an operator of data centers in the development of a state-of-the-art data center in Houston, including the acquisition of the land, the construction, architectural, and engineering agreements, and financing.
- Build-to-Suit Warehouse: Thad represented a real estate investment company as the landlord in a build-to-suit lease covering the construction of a 220,000 square foot warehouse facility.
- Corporate Headquarters: Thad represented a national developer and operator of multi-family properties in the negotiation of an 89,000 square foot office lease for the relocation of its corporate headquarters into a to-be-constructed building.
- Full-Floor Office Lease: Thad represented the tenant in a full-floor, Class A office lease in Downtown Houston.
- Multi-Floor Office Lease: Thad represented the tenant in its multi-floor, Class A office lease in The Woodlands, Texas.
- Medical: Thad represented a company that develops and manages freestanding radiation oncology facilities in its expansion throughout Texas and into California, Washington, Colorado, and Kansas, including leasing, construction, and financing.
- Medical: Thad has represented hospitals and medical groups in the acquisition, leasing, financing, and development of various facilities, including imaging centers, radiation centers, physical therapy centers, and medical office buildings.
- Retail: Thad represented a commercial property management company in connection with the preparation of entirely new, fully customizable leasing forms for its retail leasing portfolio.
- Office: Thad represented an owner of several office buildings in Houston in connection with the preparation of entirely new, fully customizable leasing forms for its office leasing portfolio.
Purchase and Sale
- Multi-Family: Thad represented the purchaser of two separate Class A, multi-family projects in Austin, Texas, including the acquisition and financing.
- Mixed Use: Thad represented a real estate investment company in the sale of a mixed-use historical building.
- Multi-Family: Thad represented a real estate investment company in the sale of two Class A, multi-family projects in Houston, Texas.
- Thad has represented a Texas real estate investment company in its purchase and sale of retail, office, and industrial properties totaling more than $134,020,000.
- Thad represented the seller in the sale of an entire city block in Downtown Houston, Texas.
- Thad has represented lenders in commercial foreclosures involving original debt in excess of $575,000,000.
- Thad has represented a real estate investment company in the purchase of loans secured by improved property involving original debt in excess of $275,000,000, and the subsequent foreclosures to acquire the properties.
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2013-2020
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters), 2007-2013
- Real Estate
- Professionals on the Fast Track, H Texas magazine, 2008
- Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2017-2021
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association – Real Estate Law Section, Chair
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association