Zoning & Land Use Incentives
Our land use and municipal law practice group – the largest in the Southwest – handles transactions from the city to the suburbs and beyond. Whether it’s an urban redevelopment or a brand-new neighborhood, we assist clients with securing appropriate zoning, addressing thoroughfare and circulation issues, and obtaining necessary approvals. We also help our clients devise and implement the most cost-effective approaches to their projects. We represent developers in all entitlement and planning matters, including zoning, variances, permits, plat/re-plat issues, abandonment, right-of-way, and deed restrictions. We are intimately familiar with the workings of the various cities and counties across the state of Texas.
- Assisted a national developer in all aspects of the entitlement process for the adaptive reuse of seven office buildings into housing, rental, and condominium units; project includes historic preservation issues and a $60 million incentive package
- Represented purchaser in acquiring approximately 6,000 acres to be developed as a master-planned community
- Assisted builders of transit-oriented developments, creating pedestrian communities adjacent to downtown commuter rail lines
- Assisted with a 200-acre master planned development in Oak Cliff
- Represented two downtown projects with “smart growth” designations, resulting in expedited entitlements processing and municipal participation in infrastructure development
- Performed regulatory analysis that enabled a new component of a downtown residential development to be carried out in connection with redevelopment of a regional mall
- Represented the Building Industry Association to negotiate a new General Plan for the County based on smart growth principles
- Managed code revisions, rezoning, platting, right-of-way abandonments and infrastructure participation by the city and the urban renewal agency for a major mixed-use project
May 16, 2022
By Suzan Kedron & Victoria Morris
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022, the Dallas City Council approved three amendments to the Mixed Income Housing Development Bonus (MIHDB) program.
Our land use and municipal law practice group includes many experienced attorneys who handle land use entitlements for developments as diverse as due diligence review, historic preservation projects, right-of-way abandonments, public/private partnership incentives including tax increment financing and municipal utility districts, infrastructure financing, variances and special exceptions, and environmental reviews.
Susan Mead, our most experienced municipal law attorney, represents clients in matters of zoning, planning, and entitlements law, including implementation of tax increment financing districts and other economic development incentives. She advises clients on regulatory issues, presents projects at public hearings, and negotiates with public officials and agency staff. Our land use practice group includes attorneys with advanced degrees related to land use planning, with direct experience in real estate development, and with experience as planning officials.
Bill Dahlstrom, our most experienced land use attorney, is a problem-solver in land use and land development issues. He works with clients to identify the land use approvals most appropriate for their projects and assists them in obtaining those approvals from public agencies. For more than 20 years of practice, he’s handled master planned developments, subdivision and annexation issues, special districts, conservation projects, and much more.