Multifamily & Residential | Real Estate
Our real estate attorneys have extensive experience in representing local, regional and national developers, investors, and home builders in all aspects of residential and multi-family development. During the last three years alone, our attorneys have been involved in apartment, condominium and/or mixed-use residential projects involving over 11,000 units, valued at over $1.2 billion.
We have an experienced and talented team of real estate attorneys, paralegals and other professionals that work together to ensure efficient, cost-effective, and thorough review of all issues relating to real property development. Our attorneys and staff have been representing subdivision, apartment, and condominium developers for many years, and we have an in-depth understanding of the requirements and legal issues relating to these transactions. Our attorneys are familiar with all aspects of residential and multi-family development. We routinely counsel clients in all phases of these projects, including due diligence and acquisition; financing; permitting, zoning, subdivision and entitlements; development, design and construction contracts; construction disputes and liens; and sale, disposition, and leasing. Our experience includes both ground-up development and acquisition and redevelopment of existing multi-family communities and mixed-use projects.
Our attorneys and staff have been representing subdivision, apartment, and condominium developers for many years, and we have an in-depth understanding of the requirements and legal issues relating to these transactions.
In addition to the legal knowledge and experience that our real estate attorneys have to offer, we have established relationships in many of the communities in which our clients live, work and develop. These relationships and contacts have proven to be an invaluable resource in helping us and our clients navigate local politics, understand municipal codes, ordinances and procedures, and avoid pitfalls and delays in the development process.
In addition to residential subdivisions, multi-family development, and traditional neighborhood developments, our attorneys have assisted clients in developing new residential condominium regimes, converting apartments to condominiums, converting tax-exempt entities’ office buildings to condominiums for ad valorem tax-saving purposes, developing mixed-use condominium regimes, and negotiating condominium construction loan documentation.
- Acted as counsel to the developer of a 1,050,000 square foot mixed-use urban development, containing residential, retail, office and hotel condominium components.
- During 2008, represented a national homebuilder on the purchase, development and/or sale of residential lots in more than forty subdivisions in the state of Texas, as well as subdivisions in Nevada, Florida, Delaware, California, Oregon and Washington.
- Represented one of the largest multi-family companies in the nation in connection with the development and management of multiple residential and mixed-use communities in Austin, Texas, including a 3-star Rated Green Community which includes both retail and residential units.
- Over the last three years, represented Archstone-Smith Trust in 26 transactions involving approximately 10,000 apartment units valued at over $1.1 billion
- Represented the seller of a multi-family package of properties that was the largest sale of apartments in the Houston area during that year
May 6, 2021
Brad Nitschke spoke with FOX 26 Houston about a DC federal court decision to vacate the national eviction moratorium and what protections are available to renters.
August 14, 2020
Between Harris County and Galveston County, the Houston area has seen the second-highest total number of evictions filed nationwide.
April 9, 2020
Multifamily property owners with federally backed mortgages now have an avenue of relief under the recently passed CARES Act.
April 9, 2020
With a large number of businesses shut down, the COVID-19 pandemic is putting a strain on relationships between commercial landlords and businesses.