Jackson Walker represents clients in every stage of the chain of gathering, treating, processing, storing, and transporting oil, gas, and hydrocarbon products, including producers, marketers, and other shippers of hydrocarbons; gas processors; storage facility owners and operators; owners of crude oil and gas gathering systems; and owners of crude oil, product, and interstate and intrastate gas pipelines.
Our multi-disciplinary approach has enabled us to assist our clients in all phases of project finance and construction, as well as the acquisition and disposition (pursuant to both asset- and equity-based transactions) of processing plants, gathering systems, and crude oil, product, and gas pipelines, including issues concerning tax, environmental, intellectual property, employment, bankruptcy, and regulatory matters.
Our attorneys also handle complex international and cross-border pipeline and other midstream development and finance projects. These projects have required our attorneys to work in some of the most difficult emerging markets and developing economies in the world, including countries through Central and South America, the Caribbean Basin, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and China.
Jackson Walker regularly assists our midstream clients in all aspects of a very broad range of transactions relating to the ownership, use, and operation of U.S. and non-U.S. pipeline and other midstream assets, including the following:
- Acquisition and disposition of U.S. and non-U.S. pipelines, processing and other plant facilities, and other midstream assets and infrastructure
- Financing of U.S. and non-U.S. pipeline, processing and other plant facilities, and other midstream asset acquisitions, operations, and activities
- Federal and state taxation of pipeline and other midstream facilities, activities, and services
- Private, state, and federal easements, rights-of-way, servitudes, surface leases and licenses, and surface use agreements
- Engineering, procurement, construction, and installation of pipelines, processing plants, dehydration, treatment, and similar facilities, and other midstream assets and infrastructure
- Pipeline interconnection agreements
- Dehydration agreements
- Condensate separation, stabilization, and handling agreements
- Gas processing agreements and processing plant operating agreements
- Master service agreements and other agreements between midstream facility operators and service companies
- Crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquid sale, purchase, exchange, and other marketing agreements, including derivative contracts and other price risk management structures
- Oil and gas gathering agreements
- Oil and gas storage agreements
- Gas transportation agreements involving pipelines that provide intrastate and NGPA Section 311 transportation service
- Gas transportation agreements involving pipelines that provide FERC-jurisdictional transportation service subject to the Natural Gas Act
- Oil transportation agreements by pipeline, truck, rail, barge, or tanker
- Pipeline operating agreements
- Operational balancing agreements
- Capacity release transactions
- Regulatory matters pertaining to pipeline and other midstream services and activities before the Railroad Commission of Texas, the Louisiana Department of Conservation, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement of the United States Department of the Interior, and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission