David T. Moran
David Moran is a trial lawyer with more than 30 years’ experience and a track record of achieving results for clients. His national practice is wide ranging, including antitrust, aviation, business, class actions, defamation, insurance, and intellectual property matters.
David’s success as a trial lawyer is built upon sound judgment that comes from decades of experience and his commitment to finding solutions that achieve his clients’ goals; this inevitably means formulating and executing the best strategy for success. Success comes in the form of a favorable pre-trial resolution, a jury verdict, or a win on appeal.
David’s approach to client service emphasizes cooperation, trust, and a commitment to results, efficiency and value. David is always accessible to clients and maintains a focus on understanding, communicating, and exceeding client expectations.
David is particularly experienced in the following areas of practice:
Class Actions/Opt-Outs/Corporate Recovery
David has long devoted a significant part of his practice to class actions and complex litigation in numerous state and federal courts throughout the United States. His experience includes significant and successful national counsel representation for major insurers, energy companies, and manufacturers in numerous class actions filed across the country. He is also well versed in MDLs and antitrust class actions. David is also national counsel to other clients, and his practice has called upon him to represent clients in more than 25 states. David recently represented Google, Shell Oil Company, Dell Technologies, J. Crew Group, Murphy USA and other large merchants as opt-outs in the settlement of the largest antitrust class action.
David also represents well-known and leading corporate clients in our affirmative recovery practice. We’ve recovered substantial amounts for our clients’ valuable claims, with many of them on a “no budget impact” or contingent fee basis.
David’s practice has included the full range of insurance issues, including bad faith, coverage, traditional insurance defense, and class actions. His areas of practice have included directors and officers, professional malpractice, aviation defense, liability, property, workers compensation and numerous other specialty areas.
Intellectual Property Litigation
David’s practice has turned to intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark and trade secret matters. In one particularly high-profile action, a Jackson Walker team, including David, successfully defended Google in two nationwide putative class actions concerning its Adwords program. One noted IP commentator declared this win “a major victory” for Google in “high-stakes class action lawsuits.”
David has the rare combination of skills that enables him to excel in both trial and appellate work, including a deep knowledge of the law and keen ability to quickly grasp the central issues of a case and communicate them effectively. He has a record of success in federal and state appeals.
David is also seasoned in all aspects of aviation matters, including lead roles as national counsel for aircraft manufacturers in defending wrongful death actions in various states and countries. He also regularly counsels airports and is experienced in FAA matters.
B.B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin
J.D., with honors, University of Texas School of Law
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Dell Technologies v. Visa, (E.D. N.Y. 2020) – Successful representation of Dell as opt out in largest antitrust class action.
- Stephens Inc. v. Xoom Energy LLC, (E.D. Ark. 2018) – suit for investment banking firm to recover success fee owed.
- Lee v. Global Stainless Supply, Inc.,No. 01-17-865 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st District], 2018, pet. denied) – Affirming summary judgment in dispute regarding LLC and put/call agreement.
- First Bank v. Brumitt, 564 SW.3d 491 (Tex. App. – Houston [14th District], 2018, no pet.) – Reversing and rendering judgment in favor of bank client in lender-liability case.
- Lenois v. Lawal, 2017 WL 5289611 (Del. Ch. Nov. 7, 2017) – Obtained dismissal of action on demand futility grounds against alleged majority shareholder; appeal dismissed by order, No. 482 2017D (Del. 2020).
- First Bank v. Brumitt, 519 SW.3d 95 (Tex. 2017) — Lead appellate counsel in obtaining reversal of judgment in favor of alleged third-party beneficiary of loan on breach of contract theory.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. v. Servisair, L.L.C., No. 16-20472 (5th Cir. Jan. 27, 2017) – Affirmed summary judgment in breach of contract claim.
- Cameron International Company Ltd. v. Liberty Insurance Underwriters, 15-0891 (Tex. 2016) — Lead appellate counsel for Liberty regarding claims arising out of Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Google Inc. v. Visa Inc., (E.D. N.Y. 2015) — Successful representation of Google as opt out in largest antitrust class action.
- Dunbar v. Google Inc., (E.D. Tex. 2012) — Obtained order for Google denying nationwide class certification involving privacy claims arising out of scanning of Gmail.
- FPX, LLC v. Google Inc., 276 F.R.D. 543 (E.D. Tex. 2011) — Obtained orders for Google denying nationwide class certification involving trademark claims concerning Adwords and subsequent dismissal.
- Quixtar, Inc. v. Signature Management Team, LLC, 315 SW.3d 28 (Tex. 2010) — Reversed court of appeals and affirmed forum non conveniens dismissal.
- Albritton v. Cisco Systems, Inc., (E.D. Tex. 2009) — Obtained favorable ruling on Cisco’s JMOL, leading to settlement of high profile defamation action.
- Chubb Lloyds Ins. Co v. Miller County, 2010 Ark. 119 (Ark. 2010) — Case of first impression under Arkansas Constitution regarding standing in class actions.
- Dallas 500 The Most Powerful Business Leaders in Dallas-Fort Worth, D Magazine, 2019
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2008, 2011-2012, 2015-2020
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2012-2015, 2017-2021
- Aviation Law, 2016-2021
- Dallas 500, D CEO, 2016-2018
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2018
- Board of Trustees, The Jesuit College Preparatory School of Dallas Foundation
- Board of Directors, Dallas Regional Chamber
- Board of Directors, Cristo Rey Dallas College Preparatory School
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Fellow
- Aviation Insurance Association, Fellow
- Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow
- Dallas Citizens Council