Jackson Walker’s aviation attorneys have experience in handling a diverse range of aviation litigation matters. Jackson Walker’s aviation litigation group is recognized for their success and experience in representing clients in all types of litigation from a straightforward negligence or commercial claim to a complex and high profile lawsuit.
Clients utilize the extensive experience of the attorneys in the aviation litigation group to effectively and efficiently advise and represent them. Jackson Walker’s aviation attorneys have successfully handled all forms of aviation matters throughout the United States and have served as lead counsel in complex multistate litigation and class action matters.
Attorneys of the aviation litigation group are recognized by numerous organizations for their experience and service in representing clients, including: Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA Transportation: Aviation Litigation, “Super Lawyers,” The Best Lawyers in America, Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers, and Who’s Who Legal.
The Jackson Walker aviation litigation group attorneys are known for their solid combination of legal judgment, work ethic and real world experience. A number of attorneys in the group have experience as fixed-wing and helicopter pilots (both civil and military). Attorneys from the group are frequently invited to speak at industry and legal conferences on aviation related matters. In addition, many of our attorneys serve in leadership roles in aviation related legal and trade organizations.
- American Eurocopter Corporation v. CJ Systems Aviation Group (Tex. App. – Dallas 2014) Appellate counsel for CJ Systems in a contractual indemnity suit brought by Eurocopter. The Dallas Court of Appeals decided all issues in favor of CJ Systems, and the Texas Supreme Court denied Eurocopter’s Petition for Review.
- Bombardier Aerospace Corporation v. Peter A. Halmos and PAH. Co., Dallas County, Texas. Successfully represented Bombardier’s aircraft fractional interest program in commercial dispute with Learjet fractional owner. After two week jury trial obtained a favorable verdict and title to the fractional interest in the Learjet.
- Pfeiffer v. Northwest Airlines, (W.D. Tex.). Obtained summary judgment for NWA based on the Air Carrier Access Act.
- Propair v. Fairchild Aircraft Incorporated, Montreal, Quebec Canada. Successful defense of manufacturer and type certificate holder in numerous wrongful death and hull claims arising from commuter crash near Montreal.
- Ragnell v. Town of Addison. Obtained summary judgment in favor of client, airport owner, in challenge to validity of Operating Agreement at Addison Airport.
- Laird Doctor and Linda Doctor v. Howard Purdue and Experimental Aircraft Association, Harris County, Texas, 178 S.W.3d 355, Tex. App. [1st Dist.] (2005). Represented Experimental Aircraft Association in case in which plaintiff was rendered quadriplegic as a result of an air show accident. After a favorable jury verdict, plaintiffs appealed and the case was reversed and remanded for new trial. Before the case was retried, settlement was reached.
- Dalrymple v. Fairchild Aircraft Inc. (S.D. Tex.). Won summary judgment for aircraft manufacturer in wrongful death action arising from crash in Mediterranean Sea.
- Saldana v. Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation, et al. (S.D. Tex.) Obtained summary judgment for Sikorsky based on the government contractor defense.
- Counsel for aviation insurer for the aircraft Joseph Stack flew into the IRS building in Austin, Texas, on February 18, 2012. Successfully resolved all claims asserted against the aviation policy related to the incident.
- Coverage counsel for one of the aviation insurers that insured the aircraft that carried passenger Lauren Scruggs, a fashion model and blogger, who walked into a running propeller on December 3, 2011.
- Successfully represented an air cargo ground handling company and trucking company in a multi-million dollar cargo damage claim brought in state court by obtaining a court order that the Montreal Convention applied to Plaintiff’s claims, which resulted in a recovery of less than 7% of the damages sought by Plaintiff.
- Obtained a seven-figure settlement for an aviation insurer in a subrogation action arising from damage to a commercial airline engine.
June 10, 2021
Jackson Walker Client Asks Texas Supreme Court to Grant Request for In-Person Jury Trial in Personal Injury Suit
In a petition for writ of mandamus filed on June 8, 2021, Allied Aviation Fueling Company of Houston Inc. requested the Texas Supreme Court order an in-person jury trial after Harris County District Judge Dedra Davis set the case for a remote jury trial over Zoom for June 9. The Texas Supreme Court granted Allied Aviation’s motion for stay of the remote trial while the petition for writ of mandamus is under consideration.
May 20, 2021
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices in 2021 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 41 attorneys and 14 departments for inclusion in the 2021 edition of the Global and USA guides.
May 10, 2019
The use of drones in commercial operations has grown exponentially in the last seven years. And now drones are used daily in many industries, including farming, construction, and oil & gas.
April 12, 2019
Jackson Walker In the News: Four Trends Shaping Healthcare; Insurance Companies Face Off Over $54B Failed Merger; Eagle Ford 2021
During the first quarter of 2019, local and national news publications featured insights from 11 Jackson Walker attorneys on a variety of matters, ranging from safety in the aviation industry to the importance of self-care for attorneys.
January 15, 2019
If you are an insurer or are settling a claim with insurance funds, and you are contemplating settling a case in Texas, identification of Plaintiff’s child support liens—if any—and proper payment of these liens is mandatory in Texas.
December 20, 2018
The holiday season is in full swing which means Christmas cookies, New Year’s resolutions, and property taxes… Wait. What?
August 24, 2018
The Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) honored Justin V. Lee for his service as a pilot and commander of an Army Chinook unit in Afghanistan at its fundraiser gala dinner, The Gathering.
May 23, 2018
On April 5, 2018, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit decided Stokes v. Southwest Airlines, 887 F.3d 199 (5th Cir. 2018), which expressly overruled precedent set nearly thirty years ago in Shinault v. American Airlines, Inc., 936 F.2d 796, 800 (5th Cir. 1991), by holding that the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (ACAA) does not confer a private right of action for disability discrimination against an air carrier.
May 3, 2018
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce 26 attorneys have been ranked in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business guide, with four additional attorneys identified as “recognized practitioners.”
Attorneys frequently handle litigation matters for clients involving:
- Products liability
- Premises liability
- Personal injury
- Wrongful death
- Cargo damage
- Contract disputes
- Government contracts
- Commercial aviation accidents (fixed-wing and helicopter)
- General aviation accidents (fixed-wing and helicopter)
- Military accidents (fixed-wing and helicopter)
- Insurance coverage
- Business torts
- Mass torts
- Toxic torts
- Airport disputes
- Deceptive trade practices
- Class actions
- Multidistrict litigation