Hugh E. Tanner
Hugh Tanner is a highly regarded lead trial attorney focused on complex commercial litigation, primarily within the oil and gas sector. Hugh also guides clients through federal grand jury inquiries and challenging internal investigations.
As an excellent legal strategist and negotiator, Hugh excels in dispute resolution and counseling clients in contentious litigation, including “bet the company” lawsuits.
Hugh offers clients more than thirty years of experience managing lawsuits within state and federal jurisdictions and arbitration settings. His extensive involvement in oil and gas litigation includes regularly representing oilfield services companies and other entities within the industry.
Notably, Hugh played a pivotal role as lead trial counsel for the world’s largest oil field services corporation during the extensive Deepwater Horizon legal proceedings, securing a complete dismissal for the client at the close of the plaintiffs’ case.
Hugh’s litigation experience includes a diverse range of cases including breach of contract, product liability, business torts, partnership and joint venture disputes, wrongful death and personal injury claims, construction litigation, securities disputes, common law and statutory fraud cases, trade secrets conflicts, bankruptcy-related matters, and international disputes.
His appellate experience includes presenting arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and before the Texas appellate courts. Beyond litigation, Hugh counsels corporate boards and management, advising on issues of risk management, disputes, litigation strategies, and corporate governance.
Hugh has been recognized as an Acritas Star Lawyer, a BTI Client Service All-Star, a Law360 Environmental MVP, and among The Best Lawyers in America. Lawdragon has also recognized Hugh among their 500 Leading Lawyers in America, and the Houston Business Journal listed Hugh as part of Who’s Who in Energy.
Prior to joining Jackson Walker, Hugh served as chair of the oil and gas litigation practice for an international law firm, and as a member of that firm’s executive committee.
Outside of his legal career, Hugh has a deep passion for youth baseball and softball. He has served on the Little League International Board of Directors for more than ten years, and as Chairman since 2018.
B.B.A., University of Mississippi
J.D., University of Mississippi School of Law
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Energy Lawyers, 2023
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Environmental & Energy Lawyers, 2021
- Law.com Litigators of the Week Runner Up, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Commercial Litigation, 2020-2024
- Oil and Gas Law, 2023
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Acritas Star Lawyer, 2017, 2020
- The Legal 500 US
- Energy Litigation Oil & Gas, 2020-2022
- Dispute Resolution – General Commercial Disputes, 2017
- Energy – Litigation, 2014
- Law360 Environmental MVP, 2014
- Houston Business Journal Who’s Who in Energy, 2013–2014
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2012
- American Bar Association Litigation Section
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Fellow
- Advisory Committee, Harris County District Court Clerk
September 7, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the arrival of litigation partners Hugh E. Tanner and James H. Nye to our Houston office. Hugh and Jim are highly regarded trial attorneys focused on complex commercial litigation, primarily within the oil and gas sector.