Jackson Walker’s sports attorneys have played an important role in shaping the sports industry. Members of our award winning team are regularly recognized by U.S. News–Best Lawyers® as some of the leading sports lawyers in the country. We offer clients first-hand knowledge of the complex facets of the industry and a commitment to roll up our sleeves and work side by side with them to evaluate opportunities, identify potential issues, and plot strategies for the future.
Our broad roster of clients spans the spectrum of the sports sector, including:
- Professional, Olympic, collegiate, and high school athletes
- Collegiate and professional sports teams and their owners
- Sports franchises and governing bodies
- Olympic organizations
- Sports facilities
- Investor syndicates
We routinely counsel sports clients on a wide variety of legal matters that focus on:
- Player eligibility, discipline, anti-doping measures, defamation, and gender issues
- Contracts, endorsements, and sponsorship deals
- Investments in professional teams and clubs
- Intellectual property including trademark and copyright licenses, purchases, and consent agreements
- Media, content distribution, syndication, and rights negotiations
- Civil litigation, including defense of injuries on the playing field and advocacy of the sports activity doctrine
- Negotiation of sports facilities
- Counseling of privacy, wealth management, and tax planning
Jackson Walker’s deep roots within the business of sports offers clients a perspective from various angles within the industry. This is further highlighted by leadership roles within national and international sports governing bodies, the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee, and other highly regarded sports organizations.
- Preparation and negotiation of various industry agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of sponsorship and athlete endorsement deals
- Intellectual property rights management issues for athletes and sports teams, including copyright, trademark, and right of publicity
- Sports industry dispute resolution, including sports contract disputes, intellectual property disputes, and right to compete grievances
November 3, 2022
Jackson Walker proudly announces the Firm’s inclusion in the 2023 edition of the U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” list. This year, our firm improved in the national rankings, with the rise of Appellate Practice and Corporate Law to Tier 2.
August 30, 2022
Serene Ateek, Bob Latham, and James McFall Cover Sports Law Issues Involving High School, College, and Olympic Athletes
The Dallas Bar Association’s Entertainment, Art, and Sports Law Section on August 24, 2022, hosted a CLE panel discussion featuring Jackson Walker attorneys Serene W. Ateek, Robert P. Latham, and James Carlos McFall along with Andrew Rhoden of Masterly Legal Solutions.
May 12, 2022
The Doors Are Open, Says USA Rugby After Being Confirmed as 2031 World Cup Hosts | Independent Online
Cape Town — The United States will have to “engage new eyes” to ensure that the 2031 and 2033 Rugby World Cups are a success.
April 18, 2022
By Bob Latham
One score and five years ago, the founders of SportsTravel brought forth a publication conceived from a passion for sports and dedicated to the proposition that sports-related travel is a worthy endeavor.
January 4, 2022
By Bob Latham
In the days since the passing of the legendary John Madden, well-deserved tributes and colorful stories have proliferated. It has been uplifting to read them all. But there may be one question that a younger generation — one that is familiar with Madden only as the namesake of the Madden NFL video game — is asking: What made this guy so great? If they wanted to do their research, they would of course find that he is the coach with the highest winning percentage in NFL history among coaches who have won at least 100 games. But how did he come to be regarded as the king of the hill among NFL broadcasters?
September 13, 2021
In a challenging environment for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, there was still plenty to embrace.
August 19, 2021
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
May 17, 2021
In his recent SportsTravel Magazine column about the return of sports – and fans – after the COVID-19 pandemic halted events, Bob Latham wrote, “It will not be truly ‘normal’ until people from all walks of life and all parts of the globe can gather, connect with each other and share the unbridled emotion and common spirit that makes sport such an important unifying element.”
February 8, 2021
Following a recent filing of a House bill that would define daily fantasy sports as a game of skill, CBS 11 Dallas-Fort Worth spoke with Bob Latham about the state’s anti-gambling laws and the legality of participating in a daily fantasy sports league.
December 24, 2020
2020*: An Unusual Year Sparks Debate Over Which Victories Were Legitimate | SportsTravel Winners & Losers
By Bob Latham | On December 2, the No. 8-ranked Michigan State basketball team traveled to Durham, North Carolina, to play No. 6-ranked Duke at fan-less Cameron Indoor.