Jackson Walker’s sports attorneys have played an important role in shaping the sports industry. Members of our award winning team are regularly recognized by U.S. News–Best Lawyers® as some of the leading sports lawyers in the country. We offer clients first-hand knowledge of the complex facets of the industry and a commitment to roll up our sleeves and work side by side with them to evaluate opportunities, identify potential issues, and plot strategies for the future.
Our broad roster of clients spans the spectrum of the sports sector, including:
- Professional, Olympic, collegiate, and high school athletes
- Collegiate and professional sports teams and their owners
- Sports franchises and governing bodies
- Olympic organizations
- Sports facilities
- Investor syndicates
We routinely counsel sports clients on a wide variety of legal matters that focus on:
- Player eligibility, discipline, anti-doping measures, defamation, and gender issues
- Contracts, endorsements, and sponsorship deals
- Investments in professional teams and clubs
- Intellectual property including trademark and copyright licenses, purchases, and consent agreements
- Media, content distribution, syndication, and rights negotiations
- Civil litigation, including defense of injuries on the playing field and advocacy of the sports activity doctrine
- Negotiation of sports facilities
- Counseling of privacy, wealth management, and tax planning
Jackson Walker’s deep roots within the business of sports offers clients a perspective from various angles within the industry. This is further highlighted by leadership roles within national and international sports governing bodies, the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee, and other highly regarded sports organizations.
- Preparation and negotiation of various industry agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of sponsorship and athlete endorsement deals
- Intellectual property rights management issues for athletes and sports teams, including copyright, trademark, and right of publicity
- Sports industry dispute resolution, including sports contract disputes, intellectual property disputes, and right to compete grievances
November 2, 2023
Jackson Walker proudly announces the firm’s inclusion in the 2024 edition of Best Law Firms® by Best Lawyers. This year, Jackson Walker observed notable improvements in the national rankings, including the rise of Appellate Practice to Tier 1, Banking and Finance Law and Litigation – Labor and Employment to Tier 2, and the addition of Energy Law and Environmental Law in Tier 3.
September 11, 2023
Some of the greatest moments in sports have come when everyday people are thrust into the spotlight.
By Bob Latham
September 7, 2023
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the arrival of litigation partners Hugh E. Tanner and James H. Nye to our Houston office. Hugh and Jim are highly regarded trial attorneys focused on complex commercial litigation, primarily within the oil and gas sector.
August 23, 2023
Shayan Gaziani and Demi Williams Speak on NIL Panel Presented by Dallas Bar Association’s Entertainment, Art & Sports Law Section
The Dallas Bar Association’s Entertainment, Art & Sports Law Section on August 23, 2023, hosted a CLE panel featuring Jackson Walker attorneys Shayan Gaziani and Demi Williams along with Justin Jones (Fee Smith & Sharp), Andrew Rhoden (Masterly Legal Solutions), and Kheana Pollard (Bell Nunnally & Martin).
June 30, 2023
US Rugby Hall of Fame inductee and Jackson Walker partner Bob Latham spoke on the opening day of the TEAMS Europe Conference on June 27, 2023. As an Executive Board Member of World Rugby, Bob joined a panel moderated by SportsTravel Managing Editor Matt Traub and including Sarah Massey, 2025 managing director of Women’s Rugby World Cup, and John Eades, the UK managing director for DAIMANI, as they presented a case study on the Rugby World Cup.
June 28, 2023
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Robert P. Latham will be inducted into the US Rugby Hall of Fame on Saturday, September 16, 2023.
June 5, 2023
By Arthur Gollwitzer
Over the past five years, online sports wagering has become commonplace in the United States. DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetMGM have become household names. This is the result of the United States Supreme Court’s decision in Murphy v. NCAA, in which the Court struck down a federal law prohibiting sports wagering. Since that time, 33 states have legalized sports gambling in some form. As a result, online sports books have expanded access to wagering across the nation, making a sports bet as easy as downloading an app on your phone.
April 19, 2023
By Bob Latham
The World Baseball Classic has come of age and represents a bright future for international excitement around the game.
February 27, 2023
Attorney at Law Magazine sat down with Bob Latham, a partner with Jackson Walker LLP. Bob Latham has earned his place as one of the leading trial lawyers in the country. He has 39 years of experience and a deep knowledge of media law and intellectual property litigation. He is also a published author, columnist and sought-after speaker.
November 3, 2022
Jackson Walker proudly announces the Firm’s inclusion in the 2023 edition of the U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” list. This year, our firm improved in the national rankings, with the rise of Appellate Practice and Corporate Law to Tier 2.