J. Machir Stull
Machir Stull is a lawyer in the Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery practice in Dallas, where he is involved in all aspects of commercial bankruptcy cases. He regularly represents debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, committees, bankruptcy trustees, third-party purchasers, and other interest holders in a wide variety of insolvency and restructuring matters. He also regularly defends creditors in preference and fraudulent transfer litigation.
B.S., University of Virginia
J.D., cum laude, SMU Dedman School of Law
- International Law Review Association
- Patton Boggs Public Policy Fellowship
U.S. District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Machir serves clients across a broad range of industries, including healthcare, energy, manufacturing, and retail. His bankruptcy and restructuring work include the following:
- Counsel for Debtors Katerra, Inc.
- Counsel for Debtors Center for Autism and Related Disorders, LLC
- Counsel for Debtors Benefytt Technologies, Inc.
- Counsel for Debtors Invacare Corporation
- Counsel for Debtors Loyalty Ventures Inc.
- Counsel for Debtors NBG Intermediate Holdings Inc.
- Counsel for Post-Confirmation Debtors Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Counsel for Post-Confirmation Debtors Gulfport Energy Corporation
- Counsel for Investors in Life Partners, Inc. case
- Counsel for Equity Committee in Seahawk Drilling, Inc. case
- Counsel for Secured Lender in Activa Resources, LLC case
- Counsel for Secured Lender in 1701 Commerce, LLC case
- Counsel for Secured Lender in Red River Waste Solutions, LP case
- Counsel for Directors in Saratoga Resources, Inc. case
- Counsel for Post-Confirmation Trustee in TPP Acquisition, Inc. case
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2024
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2023
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” List, D Magazine, 2023
- Speaker, “Texas Two-Step: Divisive Mergers and Fraudulent Transfer,” Texas Bar CLE (June 2023)
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy / Foreclosure,” SWABC Annual Convention and TBA Bankers Legal Conference (September 2022)
- Speaker, “Structuring Divisive Mergers Under the Delaware and Texas Statutes,” Strafford Webinar (August 2022
- Co Author, “Dividend Recaps Can be Lucrative for Bankruptcy Lawyers,” Dallas Bar Association, Headnotes (June 2021)
- Speaker, “Intersections Between Bankruptcy and Real Estate,” Tarrant County Bar Association Brown Bag Seminar Series (November 2020)
- Speaker, “Real Estate and Bankruptcy: Issues That May Arise in Light of COVID-19,” Tarrant County Bar Association Real Estate Section (June 2020)
- Co-Author, “Bankruptcy Changes in the CARES Act,” Fort Worth Business Press (May 2020)
- Speaker, “Legal Issues in the Age of the Coronavirus: Navigating the Waters of Business Bankruptcy in the Wake of the Coronavirus Pandemic,” Texas A&M Law webinar (May 2020)
- Co-Author, “The Supreme Court of Texas Affirms the Freedom of Contract,” Texas Lawyer (April 2020)
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy 101: An Overview for Corporate Counsel,” TCBA Corporate Counsel Section Luncheon (February 2020)
- Speaker, “Rising Corporate Debt and Zombie Companies,” Fort Worth Chapter of Financial Executives International (FEI) (December 2018)
- Co-Author, “Protecting Oil & Gas Royalties in the Event of Bankruptcy,” Dallas Bar Association, Headnotes (March 2016)
- Honorable John C. Ford American Inn of Court
- Dallas Bar Association Bankruptcy Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Church of the Incarnation
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, 2018 Fellow
September 19, 2023Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team. Each nominee is evaluated on his or her professional accomplishments, peer recognition, and community involvement.
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 4, 2023Mentions
The American Lawyer: Jackson Walker is Nation’s Top Local Counsel in Large Bankruptcies, as Bankruptcy and Restructuring Filings Rebound
The American Lawyer cited new research which named Jackson Walker’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring, & Recovery group as the top local debtor’s counsel in the nation so far this year.
April 25, 2023Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 24 attorneys recognized among D Magazine’s list of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2023. For recognition in the list, Dallas attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
August 24, 2022Speaking Engagements
Byron Egan, William Hornberger, and Machir Stull will join Cliff Ernst (McGinnis Lochridge) for a CLE webinar discussing divisive merger statutes on Wednesday, August 24. Presented by Strafford, the course will walk through how to structure a divisive merger and what the implications are for existing and future credit agreements and other contracts to which Delaware and Texas entities may be parties.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
November 19, 2020Attorney News
With experience advising distressed businesses related to corporate restructurings, 363 sales, and creditors’ rights, Dallas senior counsel Machir Stull will boost the Firm’s capabilities related to Chapter 11 debtor representations.