Michael S. Held
Michael Held is a Dallas restructuring and bankruptcy lawyer, who has extensive experience in representing a wide range of parties in out-of-court workouts and in-court restructurings, liquidations and contested matters, across a broad range of industries, including healthcare, oil and gas, real estate, transportation, hospitality, restaurants, communications, technology, manufacturing, reinsurance and media. He routinely advises and counsels secured lenders, landlords, contract parties, unsecured creditors, buyers of distressed assets, plaintiffs and defendants in contested matters and adversary proceedings and businesses in need of restructuring or orderly liquidation. Mike regularly practices in United States bankruptcy courts across the country.
Mike’s restructuring and bankruptcy practice of more than 25 years emphasizes client service and communication in order to tailor the counseling and legal services he provides to meet each client’s particular needs. He is ever-mindful of efficiently achieving his clients’ goals in the most cost-effective manner possible.
B.B.A., with honors, University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business
J.D., University of Texas School of Law
Supreme Court of the State of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Restructurings, insolvency situations, and bankruptcy proceedings, including:
- Secured lenders in out-of-court workouts and bankruptcy proceedings
- Individual and institutional landlords in tenant disputes, tenant bankruptcy proceedings and other tenant insolvency situations
- Debtors in out-of-court workouts and bankruptcy proceedings
- Post-confirmation debtors and plan trustees pursuing Chapter 5 bankruptcy causes of action and claims objections
- Defendants facing preference, fraudulent transfer, turnover and other Chapter 5 bankruptcy causes of action
- Non-debtor contract parties in connection with critical vendor orders, assumption/rejection of executory contracts and collection of post-petition claims
- Non-debtor co-proponents of bankruptcy plans
- Buyers of distressed assets
- Franchisors in franchisee bankruptcy proceedings
- Representation of health maintenance organization (PacifiCare) in Genesis Physicians Practice Association Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of health maintenance organization (PacifiCare) in Medical Select Management Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of landlords (Alsey Northridge Realty, et al.) in home healthcare and pharmacy Chapter 11 proceeding of Horizon Home Care, Inc., et al.
- Representation of secured lender (Community National Bank) in Heart Place Hospital Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of secured lender (IberiaBank) in in doctor-owned hospital, Victory Medical Center Parent, LLC, et al. Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of secured lender (CrossFirst Bank) in doctor-owned hospital, Pine Creek Medical Center, LLC. Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of secured lender (JPMorgan Chase Bank) in rehabilitation center, All Saints Rehabilitation Clinic, Inc. Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of asset purchasers of significant assets from largest U.S. hospice care provider (American Hospice Management, LLC) Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Representation of asset purchasers of significant assets from nursing home entity, Senior Care Centers, et al. Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of durable medical equipment vendor (DME Express, LLC) as large unsecured creditor in Serenity Homecare, LLC, et al. Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of durable medical equipment vendor (DME Express, LLC) as large unsecured creditor in Journey Hospice Care of Houma, Louisiana Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of vendor of computer software solutions vendor (Medecision, Inc.) in hospital system, Verity Health System of California, Inc., et al. Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Representation of secured lenders in obtaining maximum recoveries in restaurant bankruptcy proceedings, including proceeding for S&A Restaurant Corp. (Bennigan’s and Steak & Ale restaurants), and for significant franchisees of Golden Corral, Arby’s and Church’s Chicken restaurants
- Representation of secured lender in maximizing recovery in Victory Medical Center hospital chapter 11 proceedings
- Representation of landlords in BI-LO, Blockbuster, Borders Group, Bruno’s Supermarkets, Circuit City Stores, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P, Borman’s Super Fresh and Sav-A-Center Supermarkets), Linens ‘n Things, Movie Gallery, Restaurant Acquisitions I, LLC (Black-Eyed Pea Restaurants), Sun & Ski Sports, Tweeter Home Entertainment, Ultimate Electronics, Winn-Dixie and World Access bankruptcy cases
- Representation of Fortune 200 health services company in minimizing exposure and successfully confirming plans of reorganization as a co-proponent in physician practice associations’ chapter 11 proceedings
- Representation of a NYSE media companies in connection with critical vendor orders, assumption/rejection of executory contracts, collection of post-petition claims, and defense of Chapter 5 bankruptcy causes of action in retail bankruptcy cases, including Ames Department Stores, Adelphia Communications, ATA Holdings, Fleming Companies, Footstar, Furniture City, Heilig-Meyers, Jumbo Sports, KB Toys, Kmart, Levitz Furniture, Loews Cineplex Entertainment, Montgomery Ward, Orthodontic Centers of America, RoomStore and Ultimate Electronics bankruptcy cases
- Representation of Fortune 500 controls manufacturer in minimizing exposure and obtaining maximum distribution in the chapter 11 proceedings of the manufacturer’s distributors
- Representation of offshore energy industry fabricator, Delcor USA, Inc., in successfully confirming chapter 11 plan.
- Representation of post-confirmation debtor Color Tile, Inc. in pursuing over 200 Chapter 5 bankruptcy causes of action
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2008-2022
- Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2008-2022
- Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2011-2022
- Texas Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2005-2021
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas,” D Magazine, 2018-2021
- Texas’ Best Lawyers, 2009-2016
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers – Rising Stars by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2005
- “Best Lawyers Under 40,” D Magazine, 2002, 2004
- Co-Author, Doing Business in Texas (A Guide for Foreign Investors Doing Business in the Lone Star State), First, Second and Spanish Editions, 1999, 2003, and 2007
- “Bankruptcy Best Practices,” co-presenter, NAREC 2015 Financial Management and Operations Conference, 2015