Real Estate Workouts & Reorganizations
Jackson Walker ’s Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Recovery attorneys represent clients with an interest in real estate in all facets of out-of-court workouts, restructuings, and bankruptcy matters for real estate secured assets. In collaboration with our Real Estate team, we counsel clients through the challenges—and opportunities—arising from a distressed debt situation.
We regularly represent banks, indenture trustees, servicers, private equity firms, and other non-traditional lenders as secured creditors in significant bankruptcy matters, as well as in out-of-court restructurings. These secured creditor representations include:
- Enforcement of creditors’ rights and protection of their claims and collateral arising from pre-bankruptcy defaults
- Navigating secured creditor clients through the bankruptcy process
- Enforcement of creditors’ rights and remedies post-bankruptcy
Distressed Asset Buyers and Sellers
We have significant experience helping buyers purchase real estate assets for sale in bankruptcy proceedings.
Landlord & Contract Counter Parties
We represent landlords, tenants, and contract counterparties in a full array of bankruptcy issues, including contractual negotiations, forbearance agreements, assumption and assignment of leases and contracts, and claims related to lease rejection damages.
- Represented a variety of landlords in large and complex cases throughout the nation, including:
- Mattress Firm
- Ignite Restaurants
- Mac Acquisition
- Toys “R” Us
- Restaurants Acquisition
- Energy Future Holdings
- Circuit City
- Movie Gallery
- The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company
- HUSA, Inc.
- Seahawk Drilling
- MJ Designs
- Represented national owner of real estate in numerous bankruptcy cases throughout Texas, including with respect to proposed treatment of leases and post-confirmation default issues.
- Represented purchaser buying three apartment projects totaling over $30m.
- Represented purchaser fully-developed senior living campus valued at of $20m.
- Represented private equity bidder in auction of multi-family property.
- Represented bidder in auction for real property in national retailer case.
- Represented largest unsecured creditor in sale of 41-unit chain of liquor stores.